First Wedding Cake....help Please!!

Decorating By cakeglitz Updated 24 May 2010 , 7:28pm by cs_confections

cakeglitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeglitz Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:21am
post #1 of 8

I'm making my first wedding cake in a couple of weeks and I thought I was ready but now I'm starting to get really nervous all of the sudden....is this normal? I'm making a 14, 10, 6 square using the SPS system. I've never attempted a 14 inch cake...I'm not sure what the best method is for putting the top layer on...I thought I would turn it out on a cookie sheet (with no sides) and slide it on top of the other after it is slightly frozen. Is this the best method?? Also, I would like to torte it and make it 4 layers instead of 2 but I keep having really scary thoughts of the layers sliding when I attempt to frost them. I need any helpful hints I can get and any words of encouragement. The only reason that I agreed to do it in the first place is because it's for a family member.

7 replies
tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:37am
post #2 of 8

I just baked an 18x18 and it was a disaster for me. It was hard getting it on top of the bottom layer. It split in several pieces. I had to ask for help myself. I re-baked the cake and froze it. I was told to place the cake on top of a cake board covered with wax paper. Gradually slide the cake on top of the other using the wax paper. After cake is on top work the wax paper out slowly. I'm not sure about torting a cake this size. Maybe someone else can help with this. Although, I did have BC on top of the bottom layer. A very little came off with the wax paper. HTH

Stephanie

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:05am
post #3 of 8

I can only answer 1 question.....freeze each layer completely....then fill and stack while frozen.....I do this with all of my cakes, then let them settle for several hours so if there is going to be a bulge from the filling you'll know. I just did my first wedding cake 2 weeks ago 14,12,10,8,6 hexagon.....so nervous I thought I might have a small stroke, but I stacked it at home drove in to the location....no problems....I stack using sugarshacks method of bubble tea straws. HTH

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 8

I think being nervous is perfectly normal. I usually have dreams - nightmares - icon_sad.gif of the worst possible thing happening the day before I finish or deliver a large cake!
As for the stacking - I definetly recommend have a partner if possible. My husband knows he is going to be roped into helping anytime I have a large cake to stack.

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 8

For large cakes, I've used a cookie sheet to slide the top layer onto the bottom one. I've never had any problems.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 8

Don't know what all the wax paper thing was, but that sounds way harder than it needs to be.

Freeze the layers and you can pick them up and put them wherever you want them.

cakeglitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeglitz Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks so much everyone!! I knew I could count on you guys for help!! One more question...do most of you use b/c for your wedding cake fillings when you torte them or do you use other fillings? I always make my own fillings but I only use the 2 layers not 4. I worry that if I use my fillings the layers might slide. Has anyone had problems with this happening. I guess I'm trying to look at all worst case scenerios....probably my nerves causing this!!

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 8

I agree-it's normal to be nervous! I was terrified that I was going to screw up my BIL and SIL's wedding cake and everything seemed to take longer because I wanted it to be perfect for them.

You can make a dam with thickened buttercream (add powdered sugar until it's really thick) and pipe around each layer, then fill with your filling. This also helps prevent your filling from causing bulges. Also, I don't put as much filling in between the layers when I do four layers of cake and three of filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%