Mac Vs Pc For Business

Business By kaseynh Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 6:08pm by Rosie2

kaseynh Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:10am
post #1 of 22

My laptop crashed and burned so I am trying to decide if I should get a Mac this time. Are they really worth the extra money? Do they have a longer lifespan?

Does Cake Boss run well on a Mac? I am currently sharing hubby's laptop with him and we are both getting frustrated. We were spoiled with each of us having our own computer.

I just passed my kitchen inspection, I have my business name registered with the state, my LLC is set up and I have my liability insurance. I guess it will be fitting to start my home business with a new computer.

So, what do you think, Mac or PC?

Thanks,
Karen

21 replies
LaBoulangerie Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:40am
post #2 of 22

To my knowledge, Cake Boss does not run on a Mac. I have a Mac and personally love it, but there are no added benefits for running your business on a Mac. I do a lot of media editing(film and photo) so I bought the Mac. If you are wanting to just run Cake Boss and other programs like Microsoft Office, save the money and buy a PC. That burned coming up, lol... I always recommend Mac, but in this case, I have to go with PC. Oh, there is not a significant life span difference, either. Bonne chance!

Jeep_girl816 Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:01am
post #3 of 22

I don't know anything about "Cakeboss" but I know I LOVE my Mac. I'm on my second on in almost 8 years, we just bought our new one last year after our old one finally bit it, so yeah IMO they last A LOT longer than pc's! I've never had any problems either, they've always ran perfectly our last one probably would've even kept going for longer but I wanted a faster one. I just can't say enough great things about it. Whenever anyone complains about pc viruses or crashing I just sit and smile to myself smugly. It's a highly personal thing though some people are die hard pc's it's like Ford and Chevy or crusting vs. meringue buttercreams; everyone has an opinion and picks their sides.

LaBoulangerie Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:10am
post #4 of 22

Ah, yes, I forgot to add something in there about viruses! My roommate and i went to the same site one day. She got a virus and it totally killed her computer, I didn't. Very big plus!

Another note, I am a college student using my Mac(laptop) everywhere and use it at least 13+ hours a day. My Mac had never failed me. The only reason I recommended the PC was because of the money and that you want to use Cake Boss. If neither mattered, I would 100% recommend the Mac. I love mine! Once you go Mac, you don't go back!

Jeep_girl816 Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:17am
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBoulangerie

Once you go Mac, you don't go back!

AMEN!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

noahsmummy Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:23am
post #6 of 22

also a mac addict. they are fantastic. ive had mine for about 4 years now and never (touch wood) had a problem! you can also get microsoft office for macs (which i have) and its exactly the same as the ones that run on windows (compatible for file transfer too.. =DD)

i recommend mac. for sure.

once you go mac, you never go back. =)

i think its a phrase us mac's have adopted.. lol

emrldsky Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 22

It depends: what are you most comfortable with? I only ask because if you've used Windows for a very long time, it's a bit of a switch to go to Mac OS (the operating system that Macintosh computers have installed). You *could* put Windows on a Mac, but you need to know what you're doing. So if you've not used a Mac before, you might want to try it out first and see if you can make the switch. Especially if you get the one-button mouse. icon_wink.gif

Funny story: I work for a university's IT communications area, and I staff information tables throughout the year to answer questions and give out information about the IT department. I had a student approach the table last fall and say that she's embarrassed to admit it, but she bought a laptop because it was cute, but she has NO clue how to use it. She grew up using Windows, but bought a Mac for the look.

Oh, and I wanted to add...I've used both, but I prefer my PC. icon_wink.gif

leah_s Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 22

Given that 92% ( or higher) of the computers sold are PC, I'd stick with that.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 22

The responses I've read on here just confirm what my hubby said when we made the decision to get our Mac. He works in IT and he said he's noticed that people that own a PC are okay with their computer. But people that own a Mac LOVE their Mac. And I agree. I love it.

Everything is sooooo easy! It's not a huge mystery when I have to transfer a file or instal a program, burn a cd. And if something happens on the computer, it tells me in terms I understand. No "Error 404 asodi12343ndifoirt59r32n: send an error report?" What? A little window pops up and says "Something occurred. Learn more?" Why yes, I would like to learn more! icon_smile.gif Updating is a snap. Multitasking is even easier. I remember if I tried multitasking on my PC everything would slow down. Not fun.

My brother told me about when he decided to get his first mac. He was talking with a guy that owned a macbook and the guy said, "yeah, it may seem it runs a little slow compared to other computers right now, but this macbook is running the same as it did when I bought it 8 years ago." How many PCs can you say that about?

I'm a Mac. And I'll for sure never go back.

emrldsky Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:50pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

The responses I've read on here just confirm what my hubby said when we made the decision to get our Mac. He works in IT and he said he's noticed that people that own a PC are okay with their computer. But people that own a Mac LOVE their Mac. And I agree. I love it.

Everything is sooooo easy! It's not a huge mystery when I have to transfer a file or instal a program, burn a cd. And if something happens on the computer, it tells me in terms I understand. No "Error 404 asodi12343ndifoirt59r32n: send an error report?" What? A little window pops up and says "Something occurred. Learn more?" Why yes, I would like to learn more! icon_smile.gif Updating is a snap. Multitasking is even easier. I remember if I tried multitasking on my PC everything would slow down. Not fun.

My brother told me about when he decided to get his first mac. He was talking with a guy that owned a macbook and the guy said, "yeah, it may seem it runs a little slow compared to other computers right now, but this macbook is running the same as it did when I bought it 8 years ago." How many PCs can you say that about?

I'm a Mac. And I'll for sure never go back.

I just wanted to comment on this. icon_smile.gif While I'm OK with my laptop, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my desktop, and both are PCs. Why do I prefer one over the other? Because I built my desktop from parts, and it's more stable than ANY name-brand built PC I've ever had.

In fact, the desktop I had before, I built, and it lasted 6 years before I upgraded. I didn't NEED to upgrade, not really, but I wanted World of Warcraft to perform a little better. icon_wink.gif Six years old, and that puppy was a dream. I was sad to upgrade, but it was worth it. I think I can make it last another 6 years before upgrading again. icon_wink.gif

leah_s Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 22

Look at a PC with Windows 7. Microsoft FINALLY got a platform right. Makes multi-tasking a snap. They almost get to forget that awful Vista crapolla.

maidofcake Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:11pm
post #12 of 22

Download Parallels onto your Mac and you will be able to run Windows-based programs. Parallels is about $70-80.

I have an iMac and I'm looking to add the MacBook. I will never go back.

ccordes Posted 24 May 2010 , 8:39pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Look at a PC with Windows 7. Microsoft FINALLY got a platform right. Makes multi-tasking a snap. They almost get to forget that awful Vista crapolla.

And if you look at Windows 7 compared to Snow Leopard on a Mac, they are eerily similar, yet Mac's operating system came out earlier. icon_razz.gif

A year ago, DH bought me a MacBook. He liked it so much, he replaced his laptop with a Mac and we now have an iMac, too. As of right now, we will never buy another pc again. He has Parallels on his laptop so he can run any windows software for work on it. As for Microsoft Office programs, they have them for Mac. For the abuse my laptop has taken, it's held up tons better than any of the pc laptops we've ever had. LOVE my Mac!!!

noahsmummy Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:01am
post #14 of 22

the macs have it...lol

my uncle who is major tech head, works for a huge it company recently switched to a mac, and he reckons they are 20 times better than pc's too.. went into the specifics.. but i kinda tuned out... =/ lol im no good with computer jargon.

they make take a week or so of getting used too, because they ARE very different, but once you get passed that.. youll never go back.. icon_wink.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:57am
post #15 of 22

I think in response to the original question, I don't think one is better than the other in regards to business needs. But if you look at it in just a general computer sense (everyday use and etc) I would go with a mac.

bizcocho Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:36pm
post #16 of 22

I LOVE MY MAC!! My Imac is about 8 years old now and have never had a problem with it at all. I had a PC and hated it, froze constantly, incompatible with some programs, made a rattle noise from the moment I bought, just hated it. Had to be constantley calling for technical support. I still have the PC in the garage, needing to take out some information to then discard it.

snowboarder Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:53pm
post #17 of 22

My Mac has saved me a boatload of time. No more waiting for upgrades, service patches or whatever other crap Microsoft, Dell, name your PC, need to fix on a daily basis. Mac installs, upgrades and restarts are lightning fast. The system is really intuitive and everything is easy to find. No more googling to find out that you need to go to:

c:/system/data/settings/options/user/tools/manage/software/etc

to fix the new thing that's freezing up your PC today.

But perhaps the best part about a Mac is that I don't have to deal with the McAfee or Symantec virus scan nonsense, which slowed everything down and didn't protect my PC anyway.

So hell yes Macs are worth the money and the reason people love them so much and will never go back to a PC is because they don't do any of the insane things that frustrated you about your PC.

kaseynh Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:47pm
post #18 of 22

Thank you to all for your input. I thought my question went dead in the water, I never received an e-mail letting me know there were responses.

We checked into a Mac notebook and also priced pc notebooks. While I appreciate what the Mac has to offer, we ended up ordering a Toshiba notebook.

We just couldn't swing the extra money right now to purchase a Mac but we are hoping to go that way in the future.

Thanks!

Karen

Rosie2 Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:09pm
post #19 of 22

After reading this thread...I think I'm switching to a Mac!!! icon_smile.gif I bought this pc a year go and it came with Vista, ahggg icon_cry.gif ---does anyone have any input about upgrading to Windows 7?? is it worth it?

Katiebelle74 Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:25pm
post #20 of 22

I LOVE my mac. Cakeboss however does not run on a mac (unless you run windows on a mac in which case there is no point in spending more money on a mac, mac operating system is easier to use and more impervious to viruses etc.. running windows on a mac is really close to just turning it back into a PC). I do have cake boss on my older desktop PC, I use my mac for everything except cakeboss and use the old pc just for cakeboss. If cakeboss is something you use a lot of the time that your on the computer then you probably want a PC.

frankdiabetes Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:45pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

After reading this thread...I think I'm switching to a Mac!!! icon_smile.gif I bought this pc a year go and it came with Vista, ahggg icon_cry.gif ---does anyone have any input about upgrading to Windows 7?? is it worth it?

Windows 7 is an INFINITE improvement over Vista...I can't emphasize it enough. I use a Mac at work and a PC at home and think I'm one of a very small minority that has no strong preference for one or the other.

Vista is lame, Windows 7 is way better. They did it right this time, finally.

Rosie2 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 6:08pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdiabetes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Windows 7 is an INFINITE improvement over Vista...I can't emphasize it enough. I use a Mac at work and a PC at home and think I'm one of a very small minority that has no strong preference for one or the other.

Vista is lame, Windows 7 is way better. They did it right this time, finally.

Thank you very much Frankdiabetes!!I will look into the upgrade.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%