!help Please!

Decorating By sebrina Updated 23 May 2010 , 11:32pm by sebrina

sebrina Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 6

I worked with fondant a few times but this time I was trying to make it brown. I started with premade brown fondant but it wasn't enough so I added white with brown color. I had to kneed it a lot & now it is flaking when I roll it out & it is tearing when I pick it up. I was thinking it was overworked & I added quit a bit of Crisco to it but it is still doing it. Is it over worked? And if it is, can it be fixed?

5 replies
pattycakes55d Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 6

I'm sorry that's happening - I know how frustrating that can be. I think it is overworked and dry. People say not to add more crisco as that makes it worse. I wonder if you let the fondant rest after you combined the colors. I tried resting mine and after a couple hours the fondant was much better and it gave me some time to calm down a bit. Other times I've spent hours sometimes trying to fix my fondant and it would have been much easier to start over. Are you using corn starch to roll it out with? Have you used glycerin as that helps too. Either way I found that it gives me only a narrow window to work with and I need to handle it sparingly. Good luck.

cakemom42 Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 6

If you can let it rest over night this will give it time to settle down & firm up. It will be ok, tomorrow.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 6

what kind of fondant are you using?

sebrina Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you both so much! I will save the fondant until tomorrow & check on it then. I actually started over already but I still hate to throw it away. icon_cry.gif I have never used cornstarch to roll it out before. I normally just grease a clean counter top & start rolling. I used powdered sugar once but it stuck to the counter. icon_confused.gif So I switched to just greasing everything. I will try again tomorrow. THANK YOU!!

sebrina Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sugar_Fairy

what kind of fondant are you using?

I bought the Wilton stuff. icon_redface.gif I know, I know, I should make my own. But it is sooooo messy! I it still doesn't taste very good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%