Heirloom Frosting Under Fondant?

Decorating By skmokis Updated 24 May 2010 , 11:20am by foxymomma521

skmokis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skmokis Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone know if you can use heirloom icing under fondant. I am trying to find an icing/frosting that isn't so sweet that holds well under MMF. I would greatly appreciate any suggestion!

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:17am
post #2 of 4

I have never heard of "heirloom icing". Could you post the recipe and explain what it is?

skmokis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skmokis Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:38am
post #3 of 4

Sorry, some people also know it as flour frosting. This is the original type frosting people used on red velvet cake before cream cheese frosting became so popular with it. Found this recipe on CC.

This is a cooked flour frosting, traditionally found with Waldorf Astoria Red Velvet Cake, but it is good with many cakes.
Ingredients
1 cup milk
4 tbsp flour
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
Instructions
Whisk 4 tbsp of flour into 1 cup of milk. Cook over low heat until very thick. Cool completely.
Cream 1 cup of sugar with 1 cup of room temperature butter. (Really mix these together, at least 3-5 minutes or more.)
Add cooked flour mixture, and beat until fluffy. It will look like whipped cream.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:20am
post #4 of 4

I used it under fondant on the giant cupcake cake in my photos... I didn't have any problems, but it was eaten within 8 hours of finishing it, so I'm not sure how it would do long term...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%