Question Re: Baking Formulas For All You Baking Chemists!

Baking By confectionsofahousewife Updated 24 May 2010 , 12:50am by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 4

I am trying to analyze and tweak all of my recipes using the bakers formulas (I'm reading BakeWise!). I am trying to figure out how much fat is in my recipe. It has shortening (which is 100%) fat but I have no idea what the percentage of fat is in whole milk or sour cream. I have read the container but it is not readily apparent to me. Can you calculate it from the number of calories and fat calories? Am I just being dumb? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:23am
post #2 of 4

Whole/homo milk is usually about 3.25% and regular sour cream comes in the range of 12 - 16% butterfat (about 14 grams per 4 ounce serving).

(I'm going here by the brands we have here locally in my neck of the woods and Canada as a whole I believe. Most of our dairy has it clearly marked on the labels in big writing. Not in your area?)

BTW, I absolutely LOVE the BakeWise book. It's a fantastic read! Try the chocolate sour cream icing, to DIE for. thumbs_up.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:27am
post #3 of 4

I just looked it up on Wikipedia for you too. There's a great chart there I've copied here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_content_of_milk

United States

Butterfat content   U.S. terminology

80%   Butter
40%   Manufacturers cream
36%   Heavy whipping cream
30 36%   Whipping cream or Light whipping cream
25%   Medium cream
18 30%   Light, coffee, or table cream
10.5 18%   Half and half
3.25%   Whole milk
about 2%   2% or Reduced fat [8]
1.5 1.8%   Semi-skimmed
about 1%   1% or Low fat [8]
0.0 0.5%   Skimmed milk [8]

In the USA, skimmed milk is also known as "fat free" milk, due to USDA regulations stating that any food with less than ½ gram of fat per serving can be labelled "fat free".[8]

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:50am
post #4 of 4

Thank you! Thats exactly what I was looking for. I'm still having a heck of a time analyzing the recipe but at least I have these pieces of info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%