Question About Smbc

Baking By Jenny0730 Updated 24 May 2010 , 5:32pm by LindaF144a

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 9

I just made SMBC for the first time today. It is really good but is very soft compared to the other icings I have tried. Is this normal? I just want to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

8 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 9

Yes, it is softer than a typical american buttercream icing.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 9

Yes, soft and silky smooth, but if it's too warm it gets soft like on its way to being runny. It should stand at firm peaks when you raise the beaters. icon_smile.gif

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 9

i put bags of frozen peas around my bowl while i am beating to help keep it from getting too soft icon_smile.gif

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 9

I just made a batch Friday and it turned out great! I wouldn't call it softer, but smoother. I used this recipe:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5453/the-well-dressed-cake-swiss-meringue-buttercream-with-variations
It took a very long time to get it to stiff peaks, but it was worth it! icon_smile.gif

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:01am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

i put bags of frozen peas around my bowl while i am beating to help keep it from getting too soft icon_smile.gif

I agree -I do the same in warm months. After I beat the meringue for 10-12 min., it's still slightly warm, so I add my butter right out of the fridge which speeds up the cooling and cuts down on chilling the bowl. And the longer I beat it after the butter is incorporated, the warmer and softer it gets (not a good soft) icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:31am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesbykim

Quote:

I agree -I do the same in warm months. After I beat the meringue for 10-12 min., it's still slightly warm, so I add my butter right out of the fridge which speeds up the cooling and cuts down on chilling the bowl. And the longer I beat it after the butter is incorporated, the warmer and softer it gets (not a good soft) icon_smile.gif

I add my butter straight out of the fridge as well.

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks! It sounds like I did everything okay. Thanks for the tips!!!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesbykim

Quote:

I add my butter straight out of the fridge as well.

Someone mentioned doing this before. I'm going to have to try it.

On my last batch of SMBC, I heated the egg whites to 170 degrees. So I took two ice packs and put them around the bowl. The meringue was cool in less than 3 minutes. I'm going to do that again and use the butter straight from the fridge. It sure does beat having to wait for it to come to room temperature. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%