How Do I Make A Tall Hill On A Cake?

Decorating By kathiep50 Updated 31 May 2010 , 4:05am by Montrealconfections

kathiep50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathiep50 Posted 23 May 2010 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a 50th birthday cake for my brother-in-law. I want to make a high hill. It is an outdoor theme using a toy ATV, etc. Please help me with ideas. thanks

9 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 10

I use cake. Depending on how high it has to be and what shape. If you are trying a mountain look I'd make it seperately with cake rounds, fill, freeze and then carve into the mountain. Place onto a cake board with supports under it and stack it on the lower cake. HTH. Cat

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 10

I've seen some really cute tiered cakes that have like a mountain cut into the side of it...you could have the ATV riding up the tiers or up and around the tiers...

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:33am
post #4 of 10

I've done hills a few times. I have a pyrex bowl that I cook my 'hills' in. then I dowell under them like its another teir.

I've also made a sandcastle out of rice krispie treats. and I dowell under it.

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 10

I did one this weekend with a Pampered Chef glass measuring bowl to bake the "hill" and a 6 and 8 inch round layer. Just had to carve it smooth. I think you could also use half of a sports ball pan or a wonder mold pan.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 28 May 2010 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 10

Not sure how high you want to go, but I used cupcakes for the small mountain in my jungle cake. I didn't have to do any carving to make slopes and crevasse because the cupcakes already gave them those shapes naturally. I put frosting between and on top of each cupcake to hold them in place, and then covered them with fondant.

Leah1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leah1974 Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:02am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendaleAZ

Not sure how high you want to go, but I used cupcakes for the small mountain in my jungle cake. I didn't have to do any carving to make slopes and crevasse because the cupcakes already gave them those shapes naturally. I put frosting between and on top of each cupcake to hold them in place, and then covered them with fondant.

glendaleAZ, do you happen to have a pic handy? that sounds like a great idea!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:51am
post #8 of 10

I think it's in the poster's pictures- the one called Lazin in the Jungle. Just click on the photo link at the bottom of the poster's post to go to their pictures.

Leah1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leah1974 Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:03am
post #9 of 10

thank you!

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:05am
post #10 of 10

I made a ski hill cake and used my barbie skirt mold to do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%