How Do I Make A Tall Hill On A Cake?

Decorating By kathiep50 Updated 31 May 2010 , 4:05am by Montrealconfections

kathiep50 Posted 23 May 2010 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a 50th birthday cake for my brother-in-law. I want to make a high hill. It is an outdoor theme using a toy ATV, etc. Please help me with ideas. thanks

9 replies
catlharper Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 10

I use cake. Depending on how high it has to be and what shape. If you are trying a mountain look I'd make it seperately with cake rounds, fill, freeze and then carve into the mountain. Place onto a cake board with supports under it and stack it on the lower cake. HTH. Cat

Kitagrl Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 10

I've seen some really cute tiered cakes that have like a mountain cut into the side of it...you could have the ATV riding up the tiers or up and around the tiers...

chellescountrycakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:33am
post #4 of 10

I've done hills a few times. I have a pyrex bowl that I cook my 'hills' in. then I dowell under them like its another teir.

I've also made a sandcastle out of rice krispie treats. and I dowell under it.

dmo4ab Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 10

I did one this weekend with a Pampered Chef glass measuring bowl to bake the "hill" and a 6 and 8 inch round layer. Just had to carve it smooth. I think you could also use half of a sports ball pan or a wonder mold pan.

glendaleAZ Posted 28 May 2010 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 10

Not sure how high you want to go, but I used cupcakes for the small mountain in my jungle cake. I didn't have to do any carving to make slopes and crevasse because the cupcakes already gave them those shapes naturally. I put frosting between and on top of each cupcake to hold them in place, and then covered them with fondant.

Leah1974 Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:02am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendaleAZ

Not sure how high you want to go, but I used cupcakes for the small mountain in my jungle cake. I didn't have to do any carving to make slopes and crevasse because the cupcakes already gave them those shapes naturally. I put frosting between and on top of each cupcake to hold them in place, and then covered them with fondant.

glendaleAZ, do you happen to have a pic handy? that sounds like a great idea!

cheatize Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:51am
post #8 of 10

I think it's in the poster's pictures- the one called Lazin in the Jungle. Just click on the photo link at the bottom of the poster's post to go to their pictures.

Leah1974 Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:03am
post #9 of 10

thank you!

Montrealconfections Posted 31 May 2010 , 4:05am
post #10 of 10

I made a ski hill cake and used my barbie skirt mold to do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%