Food Police, They Have No Tastebuds

Baking By HowCoolGomo1 Updated 24 May 2010 , 2:03am by Texas_Rose

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 7

That's the only reason I can understand they want everything redone.

OK, I'm slightly peeved because a couple of my cookie recipes need to be redone.

Today's dilemma/catastrophe revolves around 2 cookie recipes that require shortening. Specifically, butter flavored Crisco, both cookies have melted to paper thin flat, overcooked on the edges and raw in the middle.

I will figure a way to correct the problem, but not before it costs time and money.

I understand people overeat, indulge and at times have no self control. I truly get it; personally when it comes to chips & dips, cheese balls and crackers, I have no control. I know this; so these items are rarely in my house.

My new favorite, which is old news is no salt allowed by those in charge of NYC. I don't think it's been passed yet, but heaven help us if it does.

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 7

Have you checked your oven temp lately? Sometimes when a good recipe goes wonky, it's because the oven thermostat is going out.

You could always sub store-brand shortening (HEB has some that still has transfats) and add a couple teaspoons butter flavoring.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 7

Are you saying you are required to change your recipes to leave out shortening products or trans fat, by law?

Texas_Rose Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 7

She means her old recipes don't work right with the new, transfat free Crisco, which is the only kind of Crisco available now.

And yes, it's scary that I could figure that out icon_razz.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

She means her old recipes don't work right with the new, transfat free Crisco, which is the only kind of Crisco available now.

I don't think it's so scary since you're the one who turned me on to IndyDebi's recipe. Thank you btw.

Oh it's not the thermostat. My oven has been off for 25 to 30 degrees for years so I do compensate.

MaryAnn

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 23 May 2010 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Thanks for the info about HEB, I'll give it a look.

BTW, do you like your new digs?

Texas_Rose Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:03am
post #7 of 7

I love the new house. It's so comfortable. I can't believe we waited so many years to get a house. I think the only thing I would change is to have a bigger fridge, but I'll get around to that eventually. I've only made two cakes since we moved in, but my cake dummies came in the mail the other day, so I'm ready to get back in the swing of things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%