Navy Blue, White, Silver And...hot Pink????

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 8:58pm by marthajo1

Misdawn Posted 23 May 2010 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 25

I'm making a cake or a friends little girl who is graduating fro mthe 8th grade in two weeks. She left the basic design up to me with a few specifications.

She wants round cakes, red velvet with cream cheese icing, and 'whatever colors her daughter chooses'.

So I asked her daughter "I thought about using your school colors (blue, white, and silver) on the cake. Any other colors you just HAVE to have on your cake?"
She says,"hot pink"
I say, "So you want the school colors AND hot pink? or just pink maybe?" I'm grasping at straws here! Anything to make the design easier!
She says "Yeah blue, white, silver, and hot pink.

OY!!!! icon_redface.gif

The mascot is the lion (would LOVE to make a cute little lion in fondant for the cake), and her mother wants "CONGRATS" and "2010" on the cake.

I kinda had an idea about making little graduation caps out of fondant and putting them on wires to stick out of the cake along with some silver stars on wires, but I just can't come up with one single design for the cake that includes all these colors!

Can anybody help? PLEASE!?

24 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 23 May 2010 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 25

Actually I think the colors will work. I've seen hot pink with navy on clothes... Think nautical but young with hot pink instead of red. I would do the cake you have in mind and maybe do a hot pink bow and some hot pink balls on curly wires to with the stars and the caps. If the pink is a concern, try making diff shades of pink and see what goes best w navy...I'm sure she'll love it even if the pink isn't super hot pink. Good luck. Just another thought I saw navy ribbon with hot pink polka dots at Michael's and it was super cute. Good luckicon_smile.gif

Elcee Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:53am
post #3 of 25

The inspitation for my daughter's wedding was "Dancing in the Moonlight". She wore white, her bridesmaids wore silver; we used navy/midnight blue linens and her flowers were stargazer lillies. Her cake was white, with different navy, silver or both ribbon on each tier and decorated with the hot pink (ish) and white gazers (Cat's wedding cake in my pics). The color were gorgeous and she got a lot of compliments on "her" (ahem, my) creative use of color. icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:19am
post #4 of 25

I think those colors will work good together. There are a lot of possibilities, pink polka dots, stars in sliver. I like the bow and lion idea! Good Luck

Misdawn Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 25

ok so I threw these ideas out to the litle girl and she said that she doesn't want polka dots or a bow. I think she's doing this to me on purpose! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

jammjenks Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 25

This is a site I have bookmarked for just such issues. Sometimes, I have the hardest time figuring out what colors look good together.

http://kuler.adobe.com/#themes/search?term=navy%20pink

noahsmummy Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 25

i was thinking maybe you could do the grad. cap in pink? and maybe a few other accents in pink? not sure.. what were your other design ideas?

noahsmummy Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 25

oooohhhh! and thanks for that link! i always have trouble visualizing color schemes. thanks. =)

jammjenks Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 25

You're welcome noahsmummy. Someone posted in on a CC thread a while back and it has helped me a lot.

Misdawn Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 25

the only thing I've come up with is to do an all white cake with a grad cap on top in navy. Then in white have "2010" on the cap with the middle of the zeros being blue paw prints. Then have a lion sitting to the side of the "2010" on the cap. And maybe throw some pink stars, silver stars and blue pawprints to travel around the side of the cake. But when I draw this out, it look very plain and like the pink was an afterthought.

Misdawn Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 25

oh and the color scheme link was awesome! I feel a little better about using these colors together...now I just wish I could figure out how! LOL!

carmijok Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:36pm
post #12 of 25

OK, just throwing an idea out...white buttercream background, fondant blue and silver stripes along the sides, hot pink fondant balls around the base, your lion on the top of the cake and Congratulations (her name) and 2010 in hot pink writing.
By the way, I like these colors together.

jammjenks Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:38pm
post #13 of 25
Misdawn Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:48pm
post #14 of 25

beautiful cake!

marthajo1 Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:48pm
post #15 of 25

Pink cake covering, Navy ribbon(fondant or otherwise) on bottom., middle and top edge. Lion sitting in middle of top on a white star with silver edge. Lion is holding a flag/pennant that says 2010. Congratulations, _______! Written behind and in front of lion.....

marthajo1 Posted 26 May 2010 , 8:27pm
post #17 of 25

Here is my idea done in publisher.... but I thought about it and it would be super cute with a big cat print instead of the star!! And for some reason my clip art won't load so I couldn't find a little cartoon lion.... icon_sad.gif
LL

chellescountrycakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:28pm
post #18 of 25

I'd do grad hats, stars, etc in the school colors. probebly with a navy cake. then I'd do a pink grad hat. and I'd write in pink whatever I was going to write, and give the lion a pink banner saying 'congrats' or way to go' or blah blah blah.

use the pink to individualize the cake just for her. otherwise it could be a school cake for anyone in her class.

Jayde Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:01pm
post #19 of 25

What about something like this, but in those colors?

White cake, hot pink, navy, and silver stars cascading down the cake. Put your navy grad cap on top, make your 2010 in the center of the middle and flow the stars around it. Put the lion on the bottom where the stars end. Make it so that your eye flows down from the cap topper, and follows the stars down to the 2010, and continues down to the lion at the bottom.

And if you wanted to add stuff on wires you can incorporate those into this design pretty easily.
LL

Misdawn Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:08am
post #20 of 25

so here's what I came up with:
LL

Karen421 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:42pm
post #21 of 25

It came out Fantastic!!! You did a great job and I bet she loved it!!

7yyrt Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:17pm
post #22 of 25

Oh yeah! Not generic at all, definitely HERS!

abeane Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:43pm
post #23 of 25

I love this cake! I think you did a great job of incorporating all of the elements they asked for!

Misdawn Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:44pm
post #24 of 25

The mother of the grad is picking the cake up this afternoon. I'll let you know what the reaction is.

marthajo1 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:58pm
post #25 of 25

VERY cute! And fun! Thanks for posting the finished cake! Did you post it in your photos.... I would love to comment there too! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%