What Brand Of Fondant Do You Use

Decorating By Lori00 Updated 26 May 2010 , 10:41am by Occther

Lori00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori00 Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 17

I am looking to buy fondant in 20 lb buckets and was wondering what brand is best. So if anyone can give me their opinion on the ones they use it would be most helpful because I don't want to waste my money. Thanks!

Lori

16 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 17

i'll give you a bump, but i make my own, recipe in on here, marshmallow fondaant and i saw a post where people are making it in their food processor just grease the bowl, and carefully the blades

ALR1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALR1955 Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 17

I've use several kinds.

Fondarific is great! Great flavors, doesn't dry out to fast. Covers cake easily. This is cheaper if you order from them directly.

Next choice would be Pentice mixed with Choco Pan white.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 17

My choices of fondant are Satin Ice and Fondarific.

If you need a fondant that's easy to use, can do sculpty things, ruffles, borders, drapes. My choice is Satin Ice, their chocolate tastes like tootsie roll candy. Taste is considered acceptable with white, unless they have had Fondarific or Chocopan.

If you want a fondant that tastes fabulous, but can't do decorations, then I would choose Fondarific. They have some really awesome flavors. It does require a learning curve.

CakeMixCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMixCakery Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 17

We either make our own MMF, or we use Satin Ice

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 17

I make my own 98% of the time. I love Michele Foster's Fondant, origional or white chocolate. That stuff is awesome and so easy to work with. I prefer it for taste and workability over any of the pre made that I've used.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 17

I mix satin ice with chocopan, since they are almost always on sale through global sugar. I really like Bakels, but more pricey. Still want to try more brands though, if I can find them at a similar price.

I made Michele Foster's with cream and butter and it tastes amazing, but haven't covered a cake with it yet, just done small items.

I always get dryness and elephant skin with straight satin ice, but could just be me. It seems like it's great when I first open it and full of moisture, but it must evaporate, which is why I started adding the chocolate based fondant to extend working timeicon_smile.gif

ALR1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALR1955 Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:08pm
post #8 of 17

Fondarific has a chocolate fondant that tastes like tootsie roll also.
I have created figures using fondarific. If I need the figures to get
hard I just put in Gumpaste powder.

Trinkerson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trinkerson Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 17

I recently tried Fondarific. I think it is worth every penny and I will never use any other brand - unless something even better comes along.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:41pm
post #10 of 17

Satin Ice. Fondarific is waaay too $$$. I still have to be able to *sell* the cake.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 17

I use homemade http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm when I know someone is going to try and eat it..for cupcakes some cake coverage. This does not smooth out as nice as commercial grade. But it taste much better.

I use Wilton to sculpt figures and shapes (when I know it is just for show)

I use the really SatinIce when it is for a cake that will be covering a cake for a wedding. It just has a better texture and taste.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:29am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

. Fondarific is waaay too $$$. I still have to be able to *sell* the cake.

Thank you Leah. I can't get it done in Hill Country TX without making it massive thick.

I know I'm supposed to knead it and put in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

It just doesn't work!

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 26 May 2010 , 7:38am
post #13 of 17

Speaking of fondant, I'm a bit of a newbie and I wondering where I can buy this fondarific and satin ice that you speak of. I prefer not to buy online because of shipping issues at my address, so does anyone know of supply stores in los angeles where i can buy something other than wilton and duff fondant? thanks in advance!!!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 26 May 2010 , 8:10am
post #14 of 17

Fondantsource is the best place. Great prices less than the company that makes it go figure. I just ordered some for a wedding cake. Don't care for Sating Ice I prefer Fondarific. Has a shelf life of one year and can be frozen. This is what I was told by the owner. Tastes yummy too. You can order a sample at Fondarifics website for 6.00 includes shipping. You get six different flavors to try. The coffee is so good and I don't even like coffee.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:52am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

Fondantsource is the best place. Great prices less than the company that makes it go figure. I just ordered some for a wedding cake. Don't care for Sating Ice I prefer Fondarific. Has a shelf life of one year and can be frozen. This is what I was told by the owner. Tastes yummy too. You can order a sample at Fondarifics website for 6.00 includes shipping. You get six different flavors to try. The coffee is so good and I don't even like coffee.

She isn't pulling your leg about the coffee flavor. I don't like my coffee sweet and Fondarific coffee/mocha flavor is too die for.

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:27am
post #16 of 17

I have ordered fondant several times from intotheoven.com
Good prices, great to work with, fast service

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:41am
post #17 of 17

Jennifer Dontz' white chocolate fondant is my number one choice for covering cakes. Have used both Pettinice and Bakels with the white chocolate. Customers love it. Have used all the other brands for decorations and party cakes. Dislike Satin Ice because of the smell. Like the taste and smell of Fondarific, especially the buttercream, but think it get a little too hard on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%