Painting Fondant Items?

Decorating By bluehawk1982 Updated 26 May 2010 , 3:26am by PinkPunch

bluehawk1982 Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 9

Hi i wonder if anyone can give me some advise?
i have to make several fondant items, namely cheerleading stuff and school stuff for grad cakes.
I plan to use the candy molds to make the stuff i need but my question is how do i paint them to look realistic? what do i need to use (luster dust etc etc) and is it best to use fondant or gumpaste? if anyone can help me or direct me to a good tutorial i would really really appreciate it
Thanks in Advance

8 replies
DianeLM Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 9

There are several things you can use to paint your dried fondant/gumpaste.

Gel or paste colors mixed with clear alcohol like vodka (to facilitate drying. without the alcohol, the colors would stay tacky for a loooooong time)

Powdered food colors mixed with alcohol or confectioners glaze.

Petal and luster dusts mixed with alcohol or confectioners glaze.

For your molds, either gumpaste or a mixture of fondant and tylose powder would be ideal. Straight fondant will work if the molds aren't too deep.

emiyeric Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 9

Hi bluehawk! I absolutely love painting fondant items ... gives a very different finish than using pre-colored fondant, and allows for a lot of creativity (just posted a dragon cake I made yesterday with some painted items, which can give you an idea of the overall look you achieve).
I usually just use my gel colors, either with a dry brush and a very tine bit of paint on the brush (if I'm going for that look), or I dilute the color in a very tiny bit of vodka or clear vanilla extract and then paint. Just don't use water, since it will dissolve your sugar. You can use any kind of luster or disco dust as well, either dry (soft color) or dissolved in a little bit of alcohol-based solution as well (vodka, extract, etc).
I usually use gumpaste, since it is sturdier than fondant for figurines.

bluehawk1982 Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Emi i have been looking at your photo's and your cakes are awesome, can you tell me what you use to get the silver color on your fondant please?

chellescountrycakes Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 9

there is a silver dust.

I like a combo of gumpaste and fondant, it doesnt dry as quickly, seems to crack less and is edible for children. (dental bills are HELL with you break a tooth. LOL )

emiyeric Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:47am
post #6 of 9

Thanks so much! I use silver luster dust mixed with a little bit of vodka, and it comes out beautifully rich silver. Super easy! The color is much stronger than when brushed on dry. HTH!

Pickulz Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:31am
post #7 of 9

Do you mind if I ask what type of brush do you typically paint with? I have never tried painting on fondant, but want to give it a try.

emiyeric Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:35am
post #8 of 9

Wilton makes a set of three food-safe brushes ... not ideal, but better than nothing. When I know people won't be eating my figurines, I use art brushes (specifically the fine-tip ones) that I keep exclusively for caking items. Good luck!

PinkPunch Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:26am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for this. I had the exact same question as the OP.

Quote by @%username% on %date%