How Much To Refund

Decorating By ccwkg Updated 26 May 2010 , 10:16pm by icingimages

ccwkg Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 19

I had a cake yesterday that I delivered to a place called nowhere. In the middle of nowhere, down long winding roads..... well by the time we got there the cake had shifted a little on one side. I plan on calling her today (after church) to offer compensation for the leaning of the cake but I have no idea how much to offer. The cake was 240.00 with a 30.00 delivery fee. Thank you in advance for your help. My nerves are shot about this and I feel like I can't think straight.

18 replies
antonia74 Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 19

Is that it after you set it up? It's great! Beautiful design.

I wouldn't call someone up to voluntarily offer them a partial refund on something they haven't even complained about. You have just as much reason to be unhappy in that transaction if she didn't give you ample warning about the length/difficulty of the drive you'd make in transporting it to her! Are you going to ask her for additional funds for that? Probably not! See my point?

IF she calls you up and wants to discuss it, then you can take action....but don't put the words in her mouth. thumbsdown.gif She may not have even noticed it. Honestly, it's really not something an average customer would see in a design that's tiered with so much stuff going on. She was probably just thrilled that you pulled off such a cute cake & delivered it to her in person, saving her all that trouble!

If she does call, don't immediately try to remedy the problem by throwing your hard-earned money back at it. Start by offering her a complimentary 6" layer cake for an upcoming event.

grandmaruth Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 19

Very cute cake...i agree, i wouldnt offer a partial refund...i am so impressed at the amount you are receiving for your cakes...that is awesome...wouldnt happen in my area...great job!!

Kitagrl Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 19
Originally Posted by grandmaruth

Very cute cake...i agree, i wouldnt offer a partial refund...i am so impressed at the amount you are receiving for your cakes...that is awesome...wouldnt happen in my area...great job!!

I dunno, that's a huge cake!!!! I don't think her price was extraordinarily high....

Very pretty! Hopefully they never even noticed anything amiss.

anasazi17 Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 19

You could always just send her an email or call asking how it was, just as a customer service call. If she brings it up then you will be prepared, if not you are good to go. Some people won't call to complain to the baker, but they will complain to everyone else. I do the calls just to keep a pulse on my customer satisfaction.
HTH icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 19

You may want to invest in SPS for large cakes like that. The support system would have added less that $10 to the cost of the cake and it keeps it from leaning. Do I sound like Leah? icon_smile.gif honestly Sps is worth every penny and just add it into the cost of your cakes. I agree with everyone else. Don't offer unless you think you'll loose repeat business off of it. If the cake had crashed then I would offer immediately but it's just slightly tilted.

KHalstead Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 19

the only thing I'd be concerned w/ about it shifting is the stability.............but I guess if the cake FELL you'd have heard about it????

I kinda like the whimsical nature of the lean!

sberryp Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 19

The cake looks great and I would not offer a refund. I felt like this on Friday when the butter cream melted and the cap on top of the cake slide off. I was worried all Friday, but the cake who the girl was for loved it and didn't even noticed it. I did offer to make a free cake.

ccwkg Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 19

Thank you all for your kind words and good advice. I have been too busy after church to get on here or to make any phone calls but the time is coming soon. I think I will make a customer service call and go from there. I will not offer anything unless she has issues. At least I do know it tasted good..... well the scraps did anyway icon_lol.gif Thanks again for helping my nerves!!!

ccwkg Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:20am
post #10 of 19

So, I get a call from my aunt (she works in the same building as this woman. woman's boss is my aunt's good friend) Well, I have been trashed. I expected it and I am handling it well (it's called Zanax). I was also told that this girl was a spoiled girl and always has to have her way, which made me feel a little better. I refuse to do a "I heard" phone call. I don't even want my aunt's name brought up so when I do call her (don't have time off till tomorrow night) I plan on not even letting her know I chatted with my aunt. I plan on being the adult in this situation and leaving it all on a happy note..... hopefuly.

LKing12 Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:44am
post #11 of 19

You might find out that she is upset over something other than the leaning. I delivered a 5 tier cake once that had started to slip and no one noticed. The bride saw me the next week and was very thankful for her beautiful cake! Found out that the pitch in the back of our van had a 5 inch incline. My DH made a platform to put in the back and covered it with non-slip matting. Never happened again.
If the customer had access to the cake before its being place on the table-you can't be responsible for that. She should have paid full price for delivery to the site.

momsgoodies Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:56am
post #12 of 19

Sorry, what is SPS???

sillywabbitz Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:15am
post #13 of 19

momsgoodies - SPS is the single plate system. If you go to the How Do I section there is a sticky on how to use SPS
Basically you use it instead of dowels. It's awesome and worth every penny. I just buy a bunch at once and have it handy. You can reuse the plates (if you're a hobbyist) or you can add in the cost of the plates and pillars into the cost of the cake. I've reused the pillars but I limit pillars to be used on no more than 2 cakes because I don't know if they weaken or not and the whole point is stability.
You can buy them at Oasis cake supply or global sugar art. It's made by Bakery Craft. Leah_S who did the sticky is the real SPS expert on here.

OP - I wouldn't trash someone over that lean. It was pretty subtle. The cake is really cute but if she's spoiled goodness knows what her complaints may beicon_smile.gif Hope tha call goes well.

sweettreat101 Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:38am
post #14 of 19

I use Stress Free cake supports on cakes of that size. They are a little pricey but I have piece of mind when delivering my cakes. I actually made a wedding cake for a friend and add the cost of the two supports. I told her that I wanted them back after the wedding and have used them ever since. The ring is made of metal with plastic legs that adjust. I add a 50.00 deposit which I give back after I receive my supports. No more cutting dowels for me.

leah_s Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:40pm
post #15 of 19

SPS is the only support system I ever use. Every cake, every time. And it would have saved the OP's cake.

ccwkg Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:17am
post #16 of 19

I would love to know how much any one else would have charged for this cake. it is a 14 marble, 10 yellow, 8 chocolate and crown was a 6 white. I used gum paste, fondant accents, and BC.
She has e-mailed me and I am going to e-mail her back. I have a feeling this is going to be interesting

Ruth0209 Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:25am
post #17 of 19

That's about 150 servings. I would have charged $3.25/servings = $487.50, and I would have charged for delivery if I'd had to deliver to a place as you described.

But pricing differs by area. What I'd charge is probably entirely irrelevant to what you charge in your area. You charged $1.67 per serving. Is that really the going rate in your area?

And I don't think I'd offer any refund. So, you drove it a zillion miles over an impossible course and it leaned a little by the time you got it there. Cakes just don't always hold up to that kind of torture.

iamcakin Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:36pm
post #18 of 19

Like Ruth, my price per serving on this would be $3.25. I include delivery within 25 miles; distances from 25-75 miles are an additional $60. Did the cake collapse, no, did they eat it, probably.

IMO you don't owe her a refund - she basically already received a 50% discount on the cake. icon_smile.gif

I seriously recommend using SPS for delivering cakes. Like leah_s, I use them on every stacked cake.

icingimages Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:16pm
post #19 of 19

Well...she already received a discount as she trashed your name everywhere. That is now money out of your pocket there. Rather than talking to you about it first and resolving a situation, she choose to be unprofessional about it. Things happen. You didnt do that on purpose and she should have the decency to call you and discuss it rather than trashing you. For all she knew you may have offered her a refund. Now she damaged you. But since she is obviously a talker, offering her a discount on her next cake would be the only thing I would offer. This way she comes back to you and you can at least earn it back and show her that it was a situational problem, not an intentnional problem or a proble based up on your skill level. Give her a discount and next time charge more...especially for delivery to nowheresville

Quote by @%username% on %date%