Got The Cake From Hell Done...

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 24 May 2010 , 4:11am by mamawrobin

Cathy26 Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:48am
post #1 of 3

Well, its been a year since this cake was booked and ive posted a fair few topics asking how to do different elements of it - it was taken from The Cake Girls website but the bride wanted aqua coloured boxes and a bride and groom added.

i finally worked out the best way to do the rings was fimo polymer clay as when it is baked its completely hard! they actually worked out great and the clay is brilliant for making really solid figures too.

The lid part of the boxes i got tips for on here - someone said to just lay another piece of fondant ontop of the fondant covered cake and then trim round to make the lid and it worked pretty well.

Overall the worst part of the cakes was the part i always hate on wedding cakes - getting the two sponges trimmed perfectly and covered in fondant - the 5 inch tiers are so difficult compared to my normal 3 inch high cakes that i just hate it and am only doing the other two stacked wedding cakes i have booked and then sticking to swan tier weddings only, i can push the cupcake towers from my shop and leave all the really hard wedding cakes to the rest of you!

Thanks for all the advice over the past year and the pic is in my profile icon_smile.gif

2 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:53am
post #2 of 3

Cute cake.

I can't tell from the photo, so forgive me if you addressed this issue when you decorated it, but it should be said that Fimo clay items must never come in contact with something that will be eaten, nor should they be baked in ovens that are used for food.

Rae

mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:11am
post #3 of 3

I think your cake looks great. thumbs_up.gif I had to laugh when I saw the title of your thread. I had to do a Mario cake becaue my grandson LOVES Mario. I would rather have had my tounge nailed to the floor icon_lol.gif . I have never made gumpaste/fondant figures before and I did not want to attempt it either. I dreaded this cake so bad that I didn't start decorating it until the night before it was due. Once I started making the figures it wasn't so bad. They aren't perfect but turned out ok. HE loved the cake so that's what matters.

Just had to say I know what you mean about "cake from hell". I love to decorate cakes but I really don't enjoy doing a design that I'm not comfortable with or I don't really like. I'm much happier when I can do exactly what I want with a cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%