3" Wedding Cake Help Needed

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 23 May 2010 , 8:24pm by nancyg

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 23 May 2010 , 8:53am
post #1 of 9

I have a wedding cake to make in two weeks and the bottom tier is supposed to be 3 1/2 inches high. I don't have a 3" by 14" pan and don't want to spend 40.00 to buy one. How difficult do you think it would be to bake a 2" and then another layer at 1"? The bottom tier has to look like a log so it is shorter in height than the two tiers above. I guess I could purchase a large cake leveler. TIA.

8 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:08am
post #2 of 9

I think it's duable... and no u don't need to buy a larger cake leveler... you can go around the cake and mark it with toothpicks.... then use dental floss (unflavored!) and go around to tort the cake.... also have a large cardboard in hand so you can use that to lift it.... and before you tort.... fridge it... or even freeze for a bit...just so it's sturdy enough...

hth

LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:14am
post #3 of 9

That wouldn't be difficult at all. What I would do is bake the two layers, measure the first one to make sure it is 2". Then, I would find something flat that is 1 inch tall, DVD case or something. Lay in down flat next to your cake, take your knife and lay the blade straight down on object. Scoot case and knife around cake cutting all the way through and around. Et voila, you made a 1 inch layer without a cake leveler. If your first round isn't 2", just make up for it with the second round.

Someone may have an easier method, but its 4 A.M. here. Bonne chance!

sweettreat101 Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:48am
post #4 of 9

Thank you for the great ideas. Do you think I should torte the 2" layer also or would it be weird to have the filling between the on1" and 2" cake? It will be a stacked cake. I am using Stress Free cake supports. Does it effect the stability of the cake the more you torte the layers? This will be the bottom layer of course. I will be glad when this cake is done and in the past. To each their own but I think the cake is ugly to begin with. LOL
LL

sweettreat101 Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:51am
post #5 of 9

Any ideas on what colors to mix to get the main pee green color on the cake?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:34am
post #6 of 9

try electric green (with a light hand) and maybe even a touch of yellow......it's more of a lime green to me! Then the darker leaf green blades of grass kinda mellow out the lime.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

Any ideas on what colors to mix to get the main pee green color on the cake?

I did that color of green on my zebra cake. I colored my fondant using Wilton Lemon Yellow then added Wilton Leaf Green until I got the shade I wanted.

sweettreat101 Posted 23 May 2010 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 9

I have Lemon yellow and leaf green can you tell me who makes Electric green?

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 23 May 2010 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 9

Ameri color makes the electric green as well as all of the other electric colors....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%