Some Fondant Questions

Decorating By KakesbyKris Updated 23 May 2010 , 5:05am by dalis4joe

KakesbyKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyKris Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:46am
post #1 of 3

I am making a cake with some fondant figures and decorations and have some questions.
I want to paint some effects on the figures; do I need to wait for them to dry/setup before I do this?
I also want to steam some of them to get that shiny effect and will be using a pot of boiling water ( being careful not to drop anything of course. icon_wink.gif ); Do I also need to wait for them to dry/setup before steaming them?
Will MMF melt if steamed or react differently if I paint it? I am using Wilton for this cake since no one will be eating the figures, pretty sure they won't anyways, but would like to use MMF in the future since I hear it tastes so much better than Wilton.
Any other tips for fondant would be loved!
TIA.

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:48am
post #2 of 3

You can paint fondant that hasn't dried yet. It does have to be totally dry before you can steam it though.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:05am
post #3 of 3

MMF is what I use for my cakes and I always steam my cakes... I use an iron.... a good ol' iron on steam setting and I steam my cake... wait about 5 minutes... then it's dry... super shiny... and not sticky at all....

it also depends what recipe u r using... IMO...
I have also painted on MMF (well DH painted on it) we used air brush colors and it took the color perfect with no problem....
the figures.... you DO have to wait until they dry and set before you can steam them.... otherwise you might end up with something that looks like a melted candle lol

hth icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%