Get Cricut Images Off Of Mat Without Distorting?

Decorating By moranda Updated 23 May 2010 , 6:31pm by aide27

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:37am
post #1 of 7

So I have been playing with my Cricut Cake and am absolutely in love with it, I have been having good luck with the cutting (after a lot of trial and error) but my problem now is how to get the images off the mate without stretching them out. The small items are no problem, but I am haing difficulty with the scroll and such. They seem to stretch out.

So I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks.

I have tried the following:
1. Placing the mat back in the freezer for a few minutes.
2. Leaving the images on the mat until hardened (this was better but they wanted to then crack in pieces when I tried to remove them.

Any help?

6 replies
aide27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aide27 Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 7

I USED FROSTING SHEETS,CORNSTARCH & RICE PAPER,ALL EDIBLE.BUY THEM FROM KOPYKAKE THEY ARE THE BEST FOR THIS.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 7

I am not having luck with my cricut :0(

I have put in the freezer and well right now Im just using it as a paperweight

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 7

What are you using to get them off the mat? I put the gumpaste in fairly dry already, and then let it dry more if needed. Then I use my tapered spatula to gently lift them off. sometimes they want to crack, so I go from a different angle. Weather makes a difference too. If it is humid, then it takes a lot more patience.

Good luck

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 7

I also use the tapered spatula, but first I pick out all the little parts of the scroll that are waste. I do wait a little while longer before trying to move them if they are very intricate. It does require a lot of patience, but I think the results are worth it! Good Luck!

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 7

Thats the thing I have a problem with the patience lol. I found waiting a bit helped but I was very impatient hehe. You do need something quite thin to get them off I found my scalpal worked better. Not really got as sharp a cut as I want yet but I will keep working on it.

aide27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aide27 Posted 23 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 7

I HAVE THE REGULAR CRICUT TOOLS SET AND THAT HELP A LOT WITH THE EDIBLE SHEETS .YES I LEAVE THE BACK OF THE SHEET WHEN I CUT IT IN THE CRICUT,THAT WAY YOU CAN HAVE THEM READY ONE OR TWO DAY BEFORE YOU NEED THEM.I USE TAPE TO SECURE THE SHEET ON THE MAT,LOVE IT.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%