Orchid Throat - Please Help!

Decorating By sweetbn Updated 23 May 2010 , 4:42pm by Karen421

sweetbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbn Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:32am
post #1 of 10

Hi,

I'm trying to make my first gumpaste orchid and I'm super frustrated. I am using the wilton cutters and instructions to put this thing together. The throat of the orchid is just not proportional and it keeps ripping on the right side once I try and thread the wire through. What method do you use to make this thing? Should I be making a center and attaching the throat of the orchid to that, instead of putting it in after like the instructions indicate? I'm going to look at that thread with the flower tutorials to see if I can find a solution.

Any help would be appreciated, TIA!

Janelle

9 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:12am
post #2 of 10

I think I've seen it on youtube.

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:38am
post #3 of 10

Definitely check out YouTube, the instructions are much different from the Wilton book (which was so bad that I almost gave up on gp flowers).

Here are a couple of links. The first is by a Wilton instructor; the second is a guy who is a bit over the top in his presentation and his music is loud, but his flower does end up looking nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZsiIbQY4NQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3OXjjC7lh4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7L6FKtK7Qk&feature=related

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:54am
post #4 of 10

What type of orchid are you making??? I have made several. Look under "my pics".Will try to post in my reply if I can down size the pic. I had classes with Nicholas Lodge in January. HTH
LL
LL

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:46am
post #5 of 10

Beautiful orchid, Tannersmom. Hurray for you for taking the class with Nicholas Lodge. I think I'd be very intimidated, at least at first. I here he's a great teacher and very nice, but yikes...he's so talented! I'd probably be a butter-finger in the class! icon_lol.gif

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 10

@mbetty; Thanks! I was at first but after an hour or so I realized how down to earth he is. You should consider taking one of his classes. He's amazing.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 10

I use Scott Woolley's method. I make the tongue first and after it's dry I attach the throat. I think it's important to have good cutters to make gumpaste flowers (unless it's a super easy one like a daisy).
LL

sweetbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbn Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for posting the links to those videos, I watched the second video this morning. (I had watched the other one last night. ) The gentlemen in the second video seems to handle his flowers pretty rough, could they be a mixture of fondant and gumpaste? I handled mine this morning and they were just gumpaste and have broken.

Beautiful pictures of orchids thanks for posting those icon_smile.gif I'm not sure what type of orchid I am trying to make, it's just the one the Wilton book is instructing sorry.

Thanks! I think I just need to practice and have patience

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:25pm
post #9 of 10

The longer you allow them to dry the more durable they will be. Several days is optimal but I'm very careful if I have to handle them after 24 hours. Practice is definitely the key.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:42pm
post #10 of 10

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%