What To Put Under Fondant?

Decorating By e2_erin Updated 24 May 2010 , 11:46am by Melnick

e2_erin Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:58am
post #1 of 13

What is your favorite icing to put under fondant? From what Ive been reading a non dairy buttercream is best. The only buttercream ive made is wilton which has butter and shortening in it. Point me in the right direction please

12 replies
cakeville82 Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:01am
post #2 of 13

It's a personal preference, some like bc, some like ganache, some like preserves.

Do what you like and what works best for you.

I use bc or ganache, depending on flavor of cake and what the customer wants.

sugarandslice Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:11am
post #3 of 13

Ganache allows you to use a very thin layer of fondant and you also get super sharp edges and a very smooth finish. I wouldn't use anything else

Marianna46 Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:13am
post #4 of 13

I agree with sugarandspice!

BlakesCakes Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:46am
post #5 of 13

Because fondant isn't popular at all in my neck of the woods, I put a full coating of buttercream under it.

I don't know why "non-dairy" buttercream would be better than any other....I make my buttercream with some ratio of butter and hi ratio shortening (depends on the weather) and heavy cream.

It works just fine for me and the people who eat my cakes like it......

Rae

e2_erin Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:58am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Because fondant isn't popular at all in my neck of the woods, I put a full coating of buttercream under it.

I don't know why "non-dairy" buttercream would be better than any other....I make my buttercream with some ratio of butter and hi ratio shortening (depends on the weather) and heavy cream.

It works just fine for me and the people who eat my cakes like it......

Rae

i figured it was because you are supposed to refrigerate dairy buttercream and if you refrigerate fondant it sweats. Thats just my guess because this is my first fondant cake.

BlakesCakes Posted 23 May 2010 , 6:05am
post #7 of 13

The high amount of PS and fats in buttercream acts as preservatives, so decorator buttercreams with butter, milk, and/or cream, can go without refrigeration for several days.

Not the case for meringue buttercreams with egg whites, yolks, etc. The sugar to fat ratio isn't high enough.

You can refrigerate fondant cakes as long as you don't have high odor foods in the fridge or a condensation problem in the fridge. Even if the cake develops condensation when being brought back to room temp, you can put a fan on it and it will generally be fine.

Rae

Melnick Posted 23 May 2010 , 6:43am
post #8 of 13

I've tried with ganache and buttercream. I found buttercream to be horrible to use. The ganache held its shape and made it much easier to get a clean finish on. I kept squishing the buttercream when I tried to smooth the fondant on top.

Marianna46 Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 13

Hi, Melnick. Is it hot where you live and no AC in the kitchen? That's my problem - it's why the buttercream undercoating is too soft to use here: it just squishes around under the fondant and the surface is always lumpy and uneven! I think it's ganache for us all the way, girl!

icalise Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 13

I always use buttercream. I heard the Ganache is great but I only tried it once and it didn't work so well for me. Perhaps, I didn't smooth it out well. Does anyone have any smothing technics for the ganache?

sugarandslice Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 13

icalise, try a hot knife to smooth your ganache

icalise Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:33pm
post #12 of 13

thank you sugarandslice!

Melnick Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:46am
post #13 of 13

It is hot here! And humid! I am only a hobby baker so I do have an air conditioner in my kitchen (well, it's through that whole level of the house).

With the ganache, you get it as smooth as you can and let it set. Once it is set, you get a scraper and or a hot knife and scrape over any lumps and bumps to get it really smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%