Dry Cake

Decorating By rebecabpg Updated 23 May 2010 , 4:28am by rebecabpg

rebecabpg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecabpg Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:43am
post #1 of 4

I just got a cake recipe here that I was dying to try, as I was experimenting with it, I decided to split the cake batter into 2 smaller pans b/c I wanted to try 2 different frostings, one fondant, the other one white frosting.
All is good, until 15 minutes into baking, I smell something burning. I check and part of the batter was coming out and dripped to the bottom of the oven. OK lesson learned, now I know I need to put less batter for next time. I cleaned and then keep baking. B/c it was smaller pans I was thinking of cutting the time shorter, so I keep checking on the cakes. 45 minutes into it and the cakes are still undercook. Finally after about an hour-65 minutes I remove the cakes, nothing coming out after doing the cake taste at which point I knew they were dry icon_cry.gif After letting them cool I checked the cakes and not only were the dry the crust was hard so I cut all the edges, top and bottom to remove the hard parts.

So my question is, other than starting all over again, is there any way to salvage a dry cake?

3 replies
Niquie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niquie Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #2 of 4

You can try simple syrup. That may help a little, just try not to over do it!!!

Ashley

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:11am
post #3 of 4

To prevent this from happening again, here's a link to Wilton's cake making charts:
(Gives batter amounts by pan sizes, as well as approximate baking temps. & times.)

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/

HTH

rebecabpg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecabpg Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:28am
post #4 of 4

thaks for the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%