Traveling Cakes

Decorating By SweetM Updated 23 May 2010 , 12:09pm by leily

SweetM Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:07am
post #1 of 3

Hello Everyone -
I need some suggestions. I have a 3 tier cake that needs to travel 5 hours. The problem is, I'm not going with it. It is for a 50th wedding anniversary and they really want the original cake replicated. It was a stack cake. I'm just not sure how well it would travel if I stacked it ahead of time. Has anyone ever had an expericence like this?? I just don't want a disaster when they get there and I can't do anything about it.
Help!!
Thanks -
Michelle

2 replies
sweettreat101 Posted 23 May 2010 , 8:11am
post #2 of 3

What kind of frosting are you using? I use stress free cake supports and they are wonderful. I had a groom pick up a three tiered wedding cake and it made it with no problems. I later found out that he stopped at the store and drove it up a bumpy dirt road so the cake was sitting in the car for a while. I always place a piece of non stick matting under my cakes to keep them from sliding. You can find it in the isle with Contact paper. I always send a piece with whoever picks up their cakes. I let them know that once it leaves it's not my responsibility. Just let them know that the cake needs to be on a flat surface in the back of an SUV or Van. If it's hot then I turn on my AC. You could also place in a large box with a piece of non stick under the cake and box to keep it from sliding. Just make sure you use enough dowels and one large dowel down the center and you should be fine. Good luck.

leily Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 3

I recommend SPS (there is a sticky about it somewhere, you can Search SPS and Leah and i know it will come up)

Then you can stack and send with the customer. Just make sure to have them sign something that it not your rsponsibility if something happens to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%