How Thin Should I Roll Mff?

Baking By Hillywu Updated 23 May 2010 , 2:35am by cakeville82

Hillywu Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:02am
post #1 of 3

I made my first batch of MFF two nights ago and it felt wonderful! I really thought it would be great. However, when I tried to put it on the cake it tore like crazy. I tried rolling it once with shortening on the mat, then again with powdered sugar/cornstarch. Is it possible I rolled it too thin? I can't even say for sure how thin I had it. It wasn't like you could see through it or anything. I rolled it on a silicone mat and flipped it the first try, then the second try I rolled it over my rolling pin. When I first started working it, it did seem a little dry. I worked a little glycerine into it. It felt good, but tore like crazy.

Any suggestions? I loved the taste of it and would really like to figure out what I'm doing wrong so I can use it.

Thank you for you for your help!

2 replies
raquel1 Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:20am
post #2 of 3

I roll out my mff on the thicker side and use cornstarch not shortening. I love the stuff so keep working with it and you'll get it. I make a huge batch and it keeps for a very long time when well wrapped. The only time it acted weird on me is when I rolled it using shortening on the mat, it got pits (little bubbles or holes) in it, I almost threw the cake away it got me so worked up!

cakeville82 Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 3

Was it warm when you rolled it?
I warm mine up so it's nice and soft and roll it out with non-stick spray to a under 1/8" inch.
You may have put too much PS in it, if warming it up doesn't help try needing in some shortening or a little bit of water.
Tearing is usually a sign of it being to dry or cold.
Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%