Purse Cake

Decorating By Jenmarlene Updated 25 May 2010 , 7:15am by sweettreat101

Jenmarlene Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:37am
post #1 of 7

I will be doing a purse cake this saturday for the first time, but I was wondering if I can add filling and use simple syrup??

6 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:42am
post #2 of 7

For carved cakes, I don't add filling or use simple syrup. I think they destabilize the cake.

I put buttercream between layers/pieces and cover in fondant.

Rae

sweettreat101 Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:42am
post #3 of 7

http://allrecipes.com/Cook/13754506/Photos.aspx?Page=3
Here is a link to my purse cake photos. I filled both of these cakes. One with a vanilla mousse and the other chocolate butter cream. I use a large loaf pan and carve to the shape I desire. Then I torte and fill. The pink purse handle is made out the rim of a small bucket lid cut in half and wrapped with ribbon with fondant flowers. The purple purse handle is fondant. I purchase the lids at Home Depot in the paint dept. Works great for basket cakes too.

Jenmarlene Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 7

Ok, thanks!

KayMc Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 7

Sweet treat 101, what type of knife do you use for carving? And for this purse, is the large loaf pan a Wilton pan? I really want to make a purse cake!

sweettreat101 Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:11am
post #6 of 7

I use a serrated knife. Know the pan was one of my grandmothers loaf pan so it is more square on the edges which works great for making a purse. Carve the desired shape and then cut the cake in half to add your filling. I use Betty Crocker cake mixes and I don't alter the directions at all and it works fine. One of the purses was chocolate and the other was Red Velvet.

sweettreat101 Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:15am
post #7 of 7

I use a mousse filling on my cakes. I try not to use gel fillings as they are not as stable. I have never had any problems with my mousse fillings slipping or oozing out. I take one pint whipping cream and one small box of instant pudding. Whip until peaks form. I have had so many compliments on the filling and nobody knows how easy it is to make. I have tried chocolate fudge, vanilla, white chocolate and banana.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%