Wedding Cake Batter - From Box?

Decorating By nielsen4897 Updated 23 May 2010 , 1:02pm by Mama_Mias_Cakes

nielsen4897 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nielsen4897 Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:12am
post #1 of 12

OK - I am making a wedding cake for my friend and I am not a professional. In the past when I make cakes from scratch they are more pound cake-like. I was thinking about using a box mix for this cake and adding a little flour so it can be stacked. What does everyone suggest is the best boxed brand?

11 replies
Geechigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geechigirl Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:21am
post #2 of 12

I always use Duncan Hines as a base and add things to it. I do not follow the directions on the back of the box. I have tried Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker and Pillsbury and I like Duncan Hines the best.

If you are going to do vanilla, I recommend using the White mix and not the yellow.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:36am
post #3 of 12

If you are wanting a doctored box mix that is perfect for a stacking or fondant covered cake, you might try the White Almond Sour Cream cake (recipe on here under recipes). It`s VERY moist and sturdy. My family isn`t big on almond flavouring, so I just double the vanilla and keep everything else the same. Makes a great wedding cake!

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:19am
post #4 of 12

I always go with Duncan Hines if I'm using a box but I also always doctor it. I always feel like the basic box is a little too light. But, I'm definitely not bashing using a box. My favorite recipe for a doctored mix is the one Tracey mentioned, the White Almond Sour Cream. I think Duncan Hines is the best mix. It has the best taste and has always been reliable.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:26am
post #5 of 12

I agree, WASC is the best doctored mix recipe that I've tried.

About adding flour for stacking, the dowels and boards support the upper tiers, not the cake icon_biggrin.gif You can stack plain cake mix cakes with no trouble at all...but the doctored mixes taste the best.

I wouldn't want to make a wedding cake with a recipe I had never tried. If you have enough time before the wedding, you should make a practice cake...not a whole wedding cake of course, but just a single tier to see if you like the way the recipe comes out.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:27am
post #6 of 12

Another vote for Duncan Hines and WASC. I use the "origional WASC" recipe by kakeladi.

Texas is right about stacking cakes. Tiers are supported by cardboard cake circles and dowels (I use straws) not on the cake under them. You can stack angel food cake if you want. There are some great tutorials on how to stack a cake on youtube.

Good luck with your cake.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:37am
post #7 of 12

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble stacked/tiered/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super link has popular CC recipe for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) and so much more!

HTH

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:19am
post #8 of 12

I just did a taste test with doctored box cake mix. It was WASC vs. Super enhanced cake recipe and the super enhanced won by a landslide.....everyone has an opinion though. I do love duncan hines no matter what I'm doing with it icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:34am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellikrause

I just did a taste test with doctored box cake mix. It was WASC vs. Super enhanced cake recipe and the super enhanced won by a landslide.....everyone has an opinion though. I do love duncan hines no matter what I'm doing with it icon_smile.gif

The description of the Super Enhanced says that it has a pound cake like texture:
(The WASC isn't a pound cake. IMHO it has the perfect texture neither too light nor too dense.)

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1953/super-enhanced-cake-formula

Pound cake is so easy to make, I usually make Elvis Presley's favorite (which also uses whipping cream):

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7317/elvis-presleys-favorite-pound-cake

But the next time I make it, I might also try the SECF since I'll have extra whipping cream. It's always nice to have more good recipes and options!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:16am
post #10 of 12

White Almond Sour Cream Cake
From Rebecca (KS)

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2322/white-almond-sour-cream-cake-wasc
(mod edited to provide link)

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:24am
post #11 of 12

WASC Best ever.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:02pm
post #12 of 12

I also prefer Duncan Hines. I add the following to every cake I make:

1 small box of instant pudding. Use a flavor that compliments your cake.
Make the eggs 4 instead of 3.
Up the oil to 1/2 cup instead of 1/3.

Mix and bake as you normally would. My family and clients love it. It's not too dense and not too soft.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%