Heat Stable Meringue-Based Icing?

Decorating By sadie423 Updated 23 May 2010 , 12:51am by LuvLyrics

sadie423 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadie423 Posted 22 May 2010 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 4

I have a cake for tomorrow- for an eagle scout ceremony and I am not sure if the ceremony will be outside of not. The family is a very outdoorsy and it is for scouts so chances are that they will be out in the 80+ heat.

I was planning on using SMBC since it is my favorite and I get the best comments on it, but is it stable enough for temperatures that high? I will be making the icing in the morning and dropping it off when I am done, so I won't refrigerate it here. Is IMBC more stable?

Thanks!
Sarah

3 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:05am
post #2 of 4

you can ask where the cake will be during the ceremony. smbc nor imbc will hold up in heat. indydebi, a c/cer has a b/c recipe that she says will stand up to very hot weather. the recipe is on this site. lots of people use this for hot weather, that usually make smbc or imbc. sugarshack's recipe on here will hold up in heat also. she is from louisiana. again, i would ask first where the cake will be sitting, if inside, and cool, then i would make the smbc that you like.hth

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:15am
post #3 of 4

I use IMBC, and my opinion is that it's slightly more stable than SMBC. However, given that they both are butter-based, I'm not sure they're that different.

One thing you might try is to replace half the butter with hi-ratio shortening (or any kind of shortening). Shortening has a higher melting temperature and will be a bit more stable.

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:51am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncr

I use IMBC, and my opinion is that it's slightly more stable than SMBC. However, given that they both are butter-based, I'm not sure they're that different.

One thing you might try is to replace half the butter with hi-ratio shortening (or any kind of shortening). Shortening has a higher melting temperature and will be a bit more stable.

That's what I do in this hot, humid Fl weather !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%