Some Customers Suck!!!

Business By ShopGrl1128 Updated 24 May 2010 , 10:19am by costumeczar

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 22 May 2010 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 13

Soooo...it's 7:30pm on a Saturday night, and here I am waiting for a cake to cool down so I can start decorating...how did you ended up like that, you might ask???

Well, about THREE months ago, my former neighbor (who I didn't even recognized because we barely talked twice, anyways) came to the shop, to ask some questions about a cake for her parents 50th wedding anniversary, we talked about design, I gave prices, she said she would get a topper for the cake and would get back to me about the flavor, I write a note: "flavors TBD", she leaves, never comes back...I move to different neighborhood...never see her again.

Today she calls me around 5:00pm, "where is my cake?" it took me several "who is this again?" to realize who she was...I explained how she never got back to me and I thought she no longer needed the cake...she starts telling how she booked the cake, I tell her no, she never paid, signed a contract, I didn't have her on my calendar...all that...she starts freaking out, yelling there are 40 people coming to her house tomorrow and "I need a cake!!!"...by now I'm pissed...she is NOT being nice, she's being a big byotch!

I say, 'let me go back to the shop and see what I can do', I go back to the shop and make sure I'm not crazy-call her back and tell her, no...you never booked the cake or even told me the flavors you wanted, I can show you my notes...then she starts almost crying, probably faking it...I say fine, come back tomorrow at 11:00am and I have the (F-ing) cake ready...here I am....I hate myself.

12 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 22 May 2010 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 13

Well, at least you are blaming the right person...you. Let this be your painful lesson to stick to your guns. A phone is an instrument..hang it up if you don't want to talk to someone, don't answer if you don't want to talk to that person...they will move on.

I'm not trying to be a byotch just trying to be the mirror of your own inner self that's beating you up already. Remember to charge her extra tomorrow for the last minute cake and next time stick to your guns and hang up the phone after saying no. People like this expect their demands to be met because there are not enough people saying no to them.

She should be heading to Costco or Safeway today, not to your bakery tomorrow. She knows this but if she can push you into doing it for her then so much the better. She's spoiled and now she feels entitled..not a good mix. Raise your price, set down the rules on how you do business and feel free to refuse business.

And finally ((((HUGS)))) it's hard NOT to be a people-pleaser and it always bites you in the butt.

Cat

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:14am
post #3 of 13

If, and when, she comes to pick up her cake, make sure you charge her a substantial PITA fee AND a rush fee..........and if she balks, put the cake in the cooler, lock the door, and go home..............sheesh. icon_eek.gif

Rae

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:48am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

If, and when, she comes to pick up her cake, make sure you charge her a substantial PITA fee AND a rush fee..........and if she balks, put the cake in the cooler, lock the door, and go home..............sheesh. icon_eek.gif

Rae

YEAH what Rae said

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:24am
post #5 of 13

Some people (I have a SIL like that) think the world revolves around them and "the help" hang onto and remember every word that flows from their born with a silver spoon mouth. You went out of your way to reinforce this person's skewed self image and I am not saying this is right or wrong...just remember...KARMA BABY, KARMA! Big hug for asking WWJD and following your personal "golden rule". OBTW...that b-otch better give not just good but EXCELLENT feedback every time she opens her mouth during that party!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:41am
post #6 of 13

I never understand people like that, and I've had 1 or 2..............I also get the ones that actually do book and then they call you almost every day the whole week before the cake and always say "just making sure you've still got my cake order!"

UH, I'm running a business..when you order a cake, and sign a contract, and pay for the cake and have in writing, me saying "ok, I've got you on my calendar see you on the 15th at 2pm!" THAT MEANS I HAVE YOUR CAKE!! lol People!

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 13

I hate to say it, but don't you just know this customer is going to complain to everyone who will listen about all the stress this caused her. I hope it turns out well, but please don't be sad if she makes it worse.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 13

adopt this motto: no contract. No deposit. No Cake.

Her assuming is not your problem. You are definately one heck of a nice person to have made that cake.

You need to stand up for yourself and be firm. If you dont do it for yourself, who else will?

I also wouldnt stress her bad mouthing you, because believe it or not, I am sure the people who know her are thinking to themselves.. "and what did you (her) do to cause all this drama".

I hear people complain about stuff all the time and I am always like, "and what did you do to make this drama?". They usually blush and admit that they didnt confirm or make a deposit, or just forgot... so dont worry about it.

you were still awful nice to make that cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 13

I'm kinda with tesso on this one. While I admire your actions to take care of her, please be careful that you aren't teaching your clients "Oh, last minute is ok! She can always get you in!"

Her: Yes, I DID order the cake!
You: Show me your canceled check for the deposit you paid and we'll get you taken care of. OTherwise, there is NO ORDER in place for the cake.

BTW, does this mean you are turning on your oven without ANY money in your hand at all? The entire invoice will be paid on delivery? icon_surprised.gif Again, be careful that you aren't teaching your clients "Oh she SAYS she needs a deposit, but she doesn't really ...... just wait until the last minute and you won't have to pay until she brings you the cake."

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:42am
post #10 of 13

You really are a nice person, but be nice to yourself too and charge her "the last minute rush" fee, so she won't do this again.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:50am
post #11 of 13

Thank you all for your comments and support, I only blame myself for allowing this to happen, no question.

I asked this woman to drop off the money last night at my ex's house where I used to live, she did.

She came this morning, all friendly, commenting about the weather...she loved the cake, said thank you for doing this-I will keep you in mind for next time again....I didn't reply, told her enjoy the cake, walk her out and closed the door behind her.

I'm not mad at her, I was mad at myself, I'm glad is over, I'm saving her phone # on my cell as 'do not pick'. icon_wink.gif

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:00am
post #12 of 13

Bless your heart! You were very sweet to do the cake even though it was clearly her lack of planning.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:19am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopGrl1128

I'm not mad at her, I was mad at myself, I'm glad is over, I'm saving her phone # on my cell as 'do not pick'. icon_wink.gif

Just be sure to TELL HER that you can't do her cakes if you don't want to, because now that you did this for her, she'll expect you to do it again. She'll also think that leaving a message on your answering machine is the same as placing an order!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%