selma041878 Posted 22 May 2010 , 11:25pm
post #1 of

I called crayola and asked them if the marker ink was injested was it a problem and the representative told me they are safe and nontoxic, so I would use your own discretion, but for me, I use them and have had no problems, dont really think I would, crayola wouldnt lie, they are a HUGE company and advertise that its NONTOXIC.

26 replies
kakeladi Posted 22 May 2010 , 11:47pm
post #2 of

have used them for years and years - way before food markers came out - and no one has ever gotten sick icon_smile.gif I would draw whole pictures on wafer paper with them.

Non toxic means it is not meant to be eaten but if it is ingested it should not be a problem for the average person. Sure if you look long enough you might find someone who is sensitive and might be sick but that could be with food coloring too. Some people are allergic to certain food colors; cornstarch, sour cream, coconut, and the list goes on and on. You can't worry about it. The people who have the problem are the ones to let you know.

icer101 Posted 22 May 2010 , 11:58pm
post #3 of

kakeladi is correct. been using them for 15 yrs. famous decorators us them too. Even sell and teach with them.

redpanda Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:08am
post #4 of

I do wonder, though, whether something that is nontoxic, but not meant for ingestion (e.g., Crayola markers) would taste bad. I would hope that the food markers wouldn't have a bad flavor, but I doubt that Crayola would worry. In fact, it would probably be good if it tasted bad enough to discourage little ones from getting into the habit of tasting the ink.

I guess with things that won't be eaten, such as fondant plaques, it wouldn't matter, but for wafer paper it could.

BlakesCakes Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:53am
post #5 of

There are TONS of things that are non-toxic (play doh, lots of scrapbooking powders, glues, etc.) but really, why use them on food if there's an edible, FDA approved alternative????

It's not as if the edible food markers aren't sitting in plain sight. Heck, I can buy some by Betty Crocker at my local grocery store and Michael's and JoAnn have the Wilton ones.

It's up to the decorator to know better.

Just because I can cover a cake in Play-doh, pour plastic glitter disco dust all over it, and glue on wooden decos with Elmer's craft glue doesn't really mean it's edible or should be eaten icon_eek.gif even though every item I mentioned is labeled as "non-toxic"........

NON-TOXIC DOES NOT EQUAL EDIBLE

All you need is one "special" person who learns that something on a cake wasn't classified as "edible" and ***poof*** there goes the cake business, personal or otherwise............

Rae

poohsmomma Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:10pm
post #6 of

Can someone recommend a brand of food safe marker beside Wilton?

cheatize Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:53pm
post #7 of

I just picked up a pack of Americolor ones.

Texas_Rose Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:22pm
post #8 of

I use Crayola markers on gumpaste all the time. I also use them to write on fondant-covered cake boards.

Until I find a food-safe, edible, flexible wire to use in gumpaste, my gumpaste items are not food and I see no problem in using non-toxic markers on them.

When I'm writing on something that will be eaten, I use gel colors and a script liner paintbrush.

sweetiesbykim Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:29pm
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I use Crayola markers on gumpaste all the time. I also use them to write on fondant-covered cake boards.

Until I find a food-safe, edible, flexible wire to use in gumpaste, my gumpaste items are not food and I see no problem in using non-toxic markers on them.

When I'm writing on something that will be eaten, I use gel colors and a script liner paintbrush.




DITTO!!

BlakesCakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:28am
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

Can someone recommend a brand of food safe marker beside Wilton?




I have KopyKake, Americolor, and Food Doodlers--I like them all for different reasons.

If I had to choose just one set, it would be the KopyKakes because they have 2 points--fine and broad.

I store them all in the refrigerator.

Yep, putting wires, toothpicks, or artificial stamens in gum paste technically renders it an inedible, but there's always that ONE who wants to see what the stuff tastes like.................so, I treat it like it might be eaten whenever possible. Certainly for plaques and other unwired, untoothpicked, unstamened pieces, I assume that they'll be eaten.

Rae

Texas_Rose Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:54am
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Yep, putting wires, toothpicks, or artificial stamens in gum paste technically renders it an inedible, but there's always that ONE who wants to see what the stuff tastes like.................so, I treat it like it might be eaten whenever possible. Certainly for plaques and other unwired, untoothpicked, unstamened pieces, I assume that they'll be eaten.

Rae




That ONE probably licked all his crayola markers as a kid too icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

My sister used to eat Barbie shoes, but Mattel didn't have to start making them out of chewing gum just because one person liked to eat them.

BlakesCakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:06am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Yep, putting wires, toothpicks, or artificial stamens in gum paste technically renders it an inedible, but there's always that ONE who wants to see what the stuff tastes like.................so, I treat it like it might be eaten whenever possible. Certainly for plaques and other unwired, untoothpicked, unstamened pieces, I assume that they'll be eaten.

Rae



That ONE probably licked all his crayola markers as a kid too icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

My sister used to eat Barbie shoes, but Mattel didn't have to start making them out of chewing gum just because one person liked to eat them.





And the moral of this is...............?? Stupid is as stupid does????????????

I stated my position at the beginning of this thread:

I firmly believe that if there's an edible alternative, then it should be used by conscientious bakers and decorators.

To each his/her own, but I don't really think acknowledging that some people will do stupid things justifies not using the appropriate tools for the job.

When you protect a client from themselves, sometimes you're ultimately protecting your own...............business.

Rae

Texas_Rose Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:16am
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes



And the moral of this is...............?? Stupid is as stupid does????????????




Now you're going out of your way to be rude.

If you want to have the only opinion on the page, start a blog.

multilayered Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:43am

I use the Kopycake ones. They come in a twelve pack and each has a thick and thin writing tip. I tend to agree just because something is non-toxic does not necessarily make it edible. I have cleaning spray that is non-toxic but I wouldn't put it on my chicken dinner (even though it is lemon scented lol)The edible markers are around $14

mkolmar Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:02am

I'll admit I've used items that were non-toxic on cakes before. I don't anymore, but I have in the past.
I have the Americolor markers and they work well.

This quote seems like it should fit here:
Whoever one is, and wherever one is, one is always in the wrong if one is rude. ~Maurice Baring

costumeczar Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:42am

If it's on something that isn't meant to be eaten, and you tell the client it isn't meant to be eaten, and the part that touches the cake that WILL be eaten isn't covered in marker, then anyone who does eat the thing you said shouldn't be eaten is acting at his own risk and that's their problem. Whew!

dalis4joe Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:03am
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

If it's on something that isn't meant to be eaten, and you tell the client it isn't meant to be eaten, and the part that touches the cake that WILL be eaten isn't covered in marker, then anyone who does eat the thing you said shouldn't be eaten is acting at his own risk and that's their problem. Whew!


well I personally had NO IDEA you could use crayola on sugar decorations... although I don't recommend that my clients eat the gumpaste flowers/decorations I make... I do consider everything I make as technically edible and therefore I will only use edible markers.... gel colors.... I know that there are people that WILL EAT the flowers even when u tell them that it is technically edible but that we do not recommend they eat it....

I have never used anything that just says non toxic because I know that doesn't mean edible... this is all new to me... never knew people used that.... BUT I guess if you are letting your customers know that it is NOT edible and you do not advertise your cakes as being completely edible then I would think it's like using a plastic cake topper in your cake... as long as the client knows I guess it's fine.. but wouldn't it be a bad thing if the colored gumpaste product touched part of the cake... wouldn't that make the cake itself not safe to eat?

kinda confusing to me....

noahsmummy Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:31am

i used crayolas....

its not like your painting the cake in it, a little bit isnt going to affect flavor.. or make anyone sick (unless they are severly allergic to something. in which case they need to warn you anyway) so i dont really have a problem

also, its extremely difficult to find cake supplies here.. edible markers in a supermarket?? lol in my dreams! you guys are so lucky to have so much at your fingertips!

costumeczar Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:07pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

...BUT I guess if you are letting your customers know that it is NOT edible and you do not advertise your cakes as being completely edible then I would think it's like using a plastic cake topper in your cake... as long as the client knows I guess it's fine.. but wouldn't it be a bad thing if the colored gumpaste product touched part of the cake... wouldn't that make the cake itself not safe to eat?

kinda confusing to me....




Just make sure the colored parts don't touch the cake, if you're concerned about it.

The chefs at my culinary school used to use eye shadows to color their flowers, since it was harder to find petal dusts in the olden days. I only use petal dusts and edible markers now, but it wouldn't bother me if someone used a little non-toxic marker on gumpaste, and the marker didn't touch the surface of the cake. I personally wouldn't use markers to draw on fondant that would be eaten, though.

If non-toxic markers were dangerous, every kindergartener in the world would be dead from sucking on pens. The amount of ink that would get into your system from eating a gumpaste flower is so small it would be way less than the amount that kids ingest. Also, I'd rather eat a tiny bit of non-toxic marker than the amount of food colorings that go into some candy and icings, if given the choice. Eating a gumpaste rose that's been marked up with markers isn't going to turn your poop blue for two days, which has happened to my kids after eating breakfast cereal.

Texas_Rose Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:18pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

If it's on something that isn't meant to be eaten, and you tell the client it isn't meant to be eaten, and the part that touches the cake that WILL be eaten isn't covered in marker, then anyone who does eat the thing you said shouldn't be eaten is acting at his own risk and that's their problem. Whew!

well I personally had NO IDEA you could use crayola on sugar decorations... although I don't recommend that my clients eat the gumpaste flowers/decorations I make... I do consider everything I make as technically edible and therefore I will only use edible markers.... gel colors.... I know that there are people that WILL EAT the flowers even when u tell them that it is technically edible but that we do not recommend they eat it....

I have never used anything that just says non toxic because I know that doesn't mean edible... this is all new to me... never knew people used that.... BUT I guess if you are letting your customers know that it is NOT edible and you do not advertise your cakes as being completely edible then I would think it's like using a plastic cake topper in your cake... as long as the client knows I guess it's fine.. but wouldn't it be a bad thing if the colored gumpaste product touched part of the cake... wouldn't that make the cake itself not safe to eat?

kinda confusing to me....




It's like using chalk on gumpaste flowers. Back before we had the internet, the average hobby cake decorator had no idea petal dust even existed. When I bought the Wilton gumpaste kit back in the day, it even said to grate chalk and use that. It's not a food item, but that's what we had and what we used. Nobody expected people to eat the gumpaste flowers. Nobody expected the gumpaste flowers to be edible, and they're not.

To me it's like saying that we shouldn't use dowels anymore, because someone might think they should eat them...if you tell someone something's not edible and it's something that needs to be removed before serving, then the customer needs to be smart enough to remove it.

Like I said before, if I'm writing on the actual cake, I use a script liner paintbrush and gel color...but the markers are a lot easier on non-edible pieces like gumpaste toppers or flowers.

dalis4joe Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:31pm

chalk? really? that's something.... I guess when the first person decided to make flowers out of sugar... they had to start with something.... and then came the petal dusts... luster dust, etc

If you are disclosing the information to the customer.... then it's okay

I don't think the dowels can be talked about in the same manner... it's like the cake board... that's about the structural support of the cake....

I now recall reading somewhere about painting flowers with chalk....and I went to Michaels looking for edible chalk hehehehe... the girl looked at me like I was crazy...

Texas_Rose Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:48pm

Most people would probably be surprised to know that gumpaste flowers have been made since the 1600s. They used to grind real flowers into the paste with a mortar and pestle to get colors.

cheatize Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:04pm

I didn't find mine in the grocery store. I found Wilton's at the craft store, but they suck. I almost had to order the Americolor ones online but I happened to finally run across them at my cake supply store.

It's not that I never use anything that's not technically food safe. It's that I tell people what parts of the cake aren't if I do use something like that. I also leave a disassembly sheet showing where the dowels are and telling them to remove them. If something is edible but won't taste great (Wilton fondant, gumpaste, dry spaghetti) I let them know that, too.

After that, it's out of my hands.

I understand taking chances, I really do. However, to let others think it's 100% okay is not cool, IMO- whether that's by not telling a person who receives the cake or by posting online. You say it politely and then let the person decide for themselves because arguing isn't going to change anyone's mind. Polite debate that gives solid info is one thing, rudeness is quite another.

Eisskween Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:36am

On the subject of chalk, the other day I was watching a program on weird addictions. There was a girl who was addicted to eating.....CHALK. She started in grammar school and is now 26 and eats at least a box a day of both white and colored. She did say she preferred the white to the colored though.

Guess, what? After 14 YEARS of eating it, she's still alive with no ill effects. Go figure.

It's an eating disorder called PICA and is not just limited to chalk.

I just thought I would throw that out there, the amount of chalk on gumpaste flowers is so minute. And one of my teachers actually suggested using non-toxic chalk if we can't find the colors we needed, and for defining, non-toxic water color markers.

costumeczar Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:09am

Eisskween is right, there's not a huge difference between nontoxic and fda approved other than the money the companies have paid to get approval and/or the arbitrary guidelines the FDA uses to decide what they want to approve or not. They require approval on food packaging and food coloring, but not baby formula or nutritional supplements. Just tell the clients that the gumpaste flowers aren't meant to be eaten.

Here's an interesting link for those who don't want to have a marker touch their gumpaste...Better stop taking vitamins and using makeup, even though those have a history of being safe for human comsumption they don't get an FDA approval http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm047470.htm

Also notice on there that color additives are regulated, but additives with a long history of safe use in foods aren't.

mkolmar Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:22am

Good point costumeczar about the FDA. I take vitamins that I know are not FDA approved. Wouldn't really surprise me if my medicine isn't either.

costumeczar Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:35am

I was also thinking, on the topic of putting non-edible thigns on cakes, what about fresh flowers? They're covered with pesticides, fertilizers, and all kinds of weird chemicals that florists use to make cut flowers last longer. I don't like using fresh flowers on cakes at all because of that, and I would think that a little bit of marker on a piece of gumpaste would be much less of a concern.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%