I've been searching the recipe archives for a strawberry or raspberry filling that doesn't require refrigeration. Any thoughts?
I use strawberry pie filling in my cakes
For raspberry filling I often add raspberry jam (seedless) to buttercream and then add a few drops of LorAnn raspberry extract to kick up the flavour a bit more.
I love this Raspberry filling I use it often!
2 12 ounce packages of frozen raspberries (not packed in syrup)
1 1/3 cups water
1 1/2-2 cups granulated sugar (or to taste. 2 cups will be pretty sweet)
2 T of lemon juice (optional)
5-6 T of cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup of water
1. In a saucepan combine the raspberries, water, sugar, and lemon juice.
2. Bring to boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the raspberries have broken down.
3. Remove the mixture from the heat and strain with a fine mesh sieve. Return the strained mixture to the heat.
4. Dissolve the cornstarch in 1/2 cup of water.
5. Whisk the slurry into the raspberry mixture.
6. Bring the mixture back to a boil and simmer for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Remove from heat and cool completely, stirring every once in a while.
8. It will take awhile to set up. It will thicken like a jelly. May stir it for easier spreading on cake.
9. Yields: 3 1/2 cups
I get rave reviews for this.
1 small jar raspberry or strawberry jam (I use smucker's)
1 tbsp powdered sugar
1 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
Mix together and voila, awesome filling!
I do the simplest thing; I use the smucker's syrup, like for pancakes, by the maple syrups, and add a good amount to my regular buttercream (which is IMBC)! I get rave reviews! I just mix in until it tastes yummy and it gives a nice light pink color. If I want it more berry colored I use a bit of Wilton's burgundy and it looks great. I don't refrigerate it. The syrup calls for refrigeration after opening but you mix it with way more butterceam than syrup so it should be stable.
I just use buttercream and add LorAnn flavourings in Strawberry or Raspberry and it's awesome!
i add strawberry essence and ice cream topping to b/c.
but i like my mousse best.. darn it that it need refrigeration. =(