Fondant, Maybe?

Decorating By bpmd210 Updated 31 May 2010 , 12:57pm by CookieD-oh

bpmd210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bpmd210 Posted 22 May 2010 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 6

Hello.
I'm looking to make the attached as an accent on top of a sheet cake. I'm wondering about the covering. Do you think I'll be able to get fondant down into those tight corners? I guess maybe I'll have to cut it to get it down there. I've never done a shape like this. Also, I was thinking about using RKT instead of cake to get the sharp corners. Any thoughts there?

Thanks
Dave
LL

5 replies
casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:09am
post #2 of 6

You could just cut it out of fondant and then apply it to the top of the cake. If you want 3 dimensional do the blue part as a fondant sheet then make the snake and rod out of rolled fondant or gumpaste.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:46am
post #3 of 6

I agree with the other poster. Doing the blue cross as a flat sheet then adding the '3=d' rod and snake would make it 'pop out' really nice.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:59am
post #4 of 6

I agree with the other poster, great idea to make the snake 3d. If you do have to do a carved cake, I think it's definitely possible, but do make sure that you freeze your cake and carve it while still frozen. You should be able to get pretty good edges and corners that way, and then when you cover with fondant, try using two fondant smoothers to keep the sharp edges.

Good luck, and post a pic after! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, I just thought of ganache too! I've never done it myself, but there's lots of posts here on how covering a cake with ganache instead of buttercream will yield nice sharp edges. Try searching the forums...?

bpmd210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bpmd210 Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 6

Turned out pretty well I think. Had to touch up a few spots with blue BC, but those all faced the back
LL

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 6

I think it came out great! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%