Clear Vanilla Help Needed

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 22 May 2010 , 10:50pm by auntiecake

sweettreat101 Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 9

I am trying to make my list of ingredients for the two wedding cakes I have to make for family members. I usually use Mc Cormicks clear vanilla for small cakes because it only comes in 2 ounce bottles. I need a large amount for these cakes and was wondering would any of you use Wilton's clear vanilla or is the flavor not all that great? I haven't used it since I took their classes years ago. Other brands look light brown or yellow to me. I can get an 8 ounce bottle of Wilton's clear vanilla for 4.99 and 40% off. But I don't want to sacrifice flavor if the vanilla's not good. TIA.

8 replies
msulli10 Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 9

I use it in a pinch and don't notice much of a difference. Probably because I add almond to my white cakes along with the vanilla.

sweettreat101 Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 9

What brand do you use? Would you use it on a Wedding cake or purchase a different brand? TIA

lilyankee5688 Posted 22 May 2010 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 9

I have used Wilton's before and now i use McCormicks.. I cant tell a difference in the taste..

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 22 May 2010 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 9

I don't use clear extracts often because I don't enjoy the flavor of them. But for me, sometimes they are necessary to maintain a bright white color. I have Wilton's clear vanilla on hand; but I think they're probably all about the same. (Clear vanilla extract, that is. NOT pure extracts.) HTH! icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Posted 22 May 2010 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 9

I buy almond, butter and clear vanilla flavorings by the gallon. Much cheaper that way because they last forever, especially if you keep them in a cool, dark place.

I measure my own blend into a dark glass quart bottle, equal parts of each flavoring, and keep in a cabinet for handy use. Saved me lots of money over the years.

Karen421 Posted 22 May 2010 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 9

Walmart carries a brand called Goodman's that come in clear. I have tried those and they are pretty good.

msulli10 Posted 22 May 2010 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 9

I have used Wilton and I never have any complaints.

auntiecake Posted 22 May 2010 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 9

I use Watkins clear vanilla and it is double strength and comes in 16 oz bottles or gallon jugs. It is much more economical then Wilton and McCormick and tastes much better. You can buy Watkins, but more expensive and I don't remember if it is clear. Find a rep by going to their website and they will probably deliver it to you. I love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%