First Wedding Cake, With An Issue

Decorating By KristiH Updated 22 May 2010 , 11:48pm by DianeLM

KristiH Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 5

Well, this cake isn't exactly a disaster, but because of one little issue I can't be entirely happy with the way it turned out. I used buttercream and made a wedding cake using 12", 9" and 6" rounds. I transported the tiers separately, and assembled on site. The bottom two tiers were absolutely fine. However, the buttercream on the top tier wrinkled when I picked it up - badly. The tier was on a base of 1/2 inch foam board, and when I transported it, I had it on a piece of 8 inch cardboard. I used a cake lifter to separate the foam board from the cardboard. I don't know when it happened, sometime from when I picked it up and placed it on top of the cake. When I stepped back and looked at it, the icing was wrinkled all the way around. Luckily the bride wanted 2 1/2 inch wide ribbon around the cake, so it hide most of it, but I am so unhappy with what happened! I should mention that it has rained everyday for the last week (including today, although it wasn't raining when I dropped the cake off) so humidity is high.

What caused this to happen??

4 replies
bakingpw Posted 22 May 2010 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 5

You did the right thing by putting it on the foam board, so it should have been plenty stable. May I ask, did you overwork the buttercream while trying to get it smooth? I have noticed buttercream can get bubbly when it has been repeatedly smoothed.

mamawrobin Posted 22 May 2010 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 5

I noticed that the middle tier sort of looks that way too. I don't know what could have caused the problem but it's a cute cake.

Texas_Rose Posted 22 May 2010 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 5

Sometimes a single cardboard cake circle won't be strong enough to hold the weight of the tier. I use foamcore for my cake boards, the 1/4" thick ones, and cover with press and seal wrap to make it food safe.

DianeLM Posted 22 May 2010 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 5

Whenever I've had wrinkled buttercream, it's always been a case of too much moisture. Either in the air or in the buttercream itself. Haven't had that problem since switching to Sugarshack's recipe which is a higher ratio of fat to liquid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%