What Is Holding This Up?

Decorating By chillysmommy Updated 23 May 2010 , 3:27am by cheatize

chillysmommy Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 11

Any ideas on what to use to make the supports for this pram? I thought of using RKT for the carriage and supporting with floral wire, but I'm afraid the wire won't be strong enough? Any other ideas? (see pic below) (image is from pink cake box -love her stuff.
Thanks in advance-michele
LL

10 replies
Cakelayer Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 11

I think you'd need something heavier than floral wire. I'd go to a hardware store and see what they had that would hold it's shape when bent.

DianaJJ

Dommers Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 11

I would just make the carriage out of gumpaste and let it become rock hard and then glue it all together. The rice crispy might make it too heavy. But I agree with cakelayer, I would check out the hardware store.

Doug Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 11

wire clothes hangers should be strong enough (and will keep Joan Crawford happy that they're not being used for clothes!)

BlakesCakes Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 11

Definitely a wire armature for the buggy frame--maybe already covered in white sheathing when purchased.

Rest of the buggy could be just pastillage or gum paste--it's be very light.

MHO
Rae

mamawrobin Posted 22 May 2010 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 11

I always thought the buggy was made from gumpaste since it's a decoration on a cake. Like BlakesCakes said it's very light so it wouldn't require alot of support.

casme Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:03am
post #7 of 11

go with gumpaste and glue together when dry. (Great movie huh Doug)

chillysmommy Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:47am
post #8 of 11

I was thinking RKT because it's lighter than gumpaste, though it's going on top of an 8" cake so it's not going to be very big. Thanks for the hanger tip. I just need to find one in white, but then it might crack. Maybe I'll dip the shaped wire in royal icing?

Karen421 Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:37am
post #9 of 11

In the chain, wire, rope isle of a hardware store, you will find plastic coated wire. (Oh - might be in with the electrical) Anyway, they have three or four colors, and white is one of the colors. I think it will be more than sturdy enough to support a gum paste carriage.

cakeville82 Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

wire clothes hangers should be strong enough (and will keep Joan Crawford happy that they're not being used for clothes!)

Last place I thought I'd see a Mommy Dearest reference.
Job well done!

cheatize Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:27am
post #11 of 11

The book was better. icon_smile.gif

Sorry, no constructive ideas for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%