About To Start My First Fondant Cake.. ????

Decorating By samsgirl Updated 28 May 2010 , 3:50am by Pebbles1727

samsgirl Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 13

I have never made a cake with this kind of frosting.. covering.. is there anything that I might need to know to make it a better experience? It is going to be a barbie cake and the wings are going to be the decorated cake.. any suggestions welcome.. thanks

12 replies
brincess_b Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 13

give your self plenty of time!
xx

bonniebakes Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 13

I was going to say the exact same thing!

Have fun, but allow double the time you think you'll need!

Sassy74 Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 13

Something that helped me in covering fondant cakes was to have my cake cold before covering with fondant. While you're rolling out your fondant, stick your iced cake in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes. If your buttercream is good and cold, it won't squish around while you're working and smoothing your fondant. Have fun!

chellescountrycakes Posted 22 May 2010 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 13

dont be scared of the fondant. just jump in. good luck!!

My first two cakes were a dream to cover. it wasnt until I mentioned that very fact, (that I had been scared for nothing) that I had hell with the next one!!

mamawrobin Posted 23 May 2010 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 13

Planet Cake has a great tutorial on youtube "how to cover a cake with fondant". It helped me to watch this video. I found tutorials like this very helpful to me when I first started.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

ninatat Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 13

me to i put too much bc under it and had a lumpy cake lol family thought it was beautiful so i didn't tell them

ninatat Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 13

namawrobin is the white chocolate fonded listed under recipes, love you cake's

mamawrobin Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:57pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

namawrobin is the white chocolate fonded listed under recipes, love you cake's

Yes. You can find it in the "most saved" recipes. Michele Foster's Fondant: the instructions for adding the chocolate are at the end of her recipe. The base recipe is the same whether your making it plain, white chocolate, flavored or chocolate. My favorite is the white chocolate. I just like the way it taste and the white chocolate makes it even more pliable. Just be sure to strain the liquid before adding to the powdered sugar. I didn't do that once and found out that it IS necessary. I also use half and half instead of milk.

Thanks for your comment on my cakes
icon_biggrin.gif

samsgirl Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:34am
post #10 of 13

Thankd ya'll so much i think i am going to di a test run first and see how that turns out and go from there.. :0) i am going to look for the videos and the recipes thanks again so much.. :0)

mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:45am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsgirl

Thankd ya'll so much i think i am going to di a test run first and see how that turns out and go from there.. :0) i am going to look for the videos and the recipes thanks again so much.. :0)

I'd also suggest using a store bought fondant since you've never worked with fondant. That way you get an idea of what fondant is suppose to feel and look like. I suggest that to anyone using fondant for the first time. If you make your own how do you know if it's the right consistency and all if you've never worked with fondant.

Wilton is fairly inexpensive and even Wal-Mart carries it. It's also the perfect consistency for fondant.

samsgirl Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:34am
post #12 of 13

thanks so much

Pebbles1727 Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:50am
post #13 of 13

I just did my first fondant covered cake last week. It took very long time to get it right, but it was a really big cake. I watched youtube, read as much as I can, but what help the most was sugarshack's fondant dvd. She shows everything step by and takes extra care explaining every step. After following her suggestions, the cake turned out much better than I anticipated. Good Luck : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%