Sticky Fondarific

Decorating By lecrn Updated 23 May 2010 , 10:29pm by Joanne1944

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 9

I used Fondarific (buttercream white) for the 1st time this wkend, and found it very sticky. I also had to add more color than normal to achieve the colors that I needed. I used Americolor and only needed a soft pink and light green. After opening the bucket, I had to microwave the fondant for about 30 sec (as suggested on the tub) to get to to a workable consistency.

I always roll my fondant out on a silicone non-stick mat with a small smear of shortening with no stick issues @ all. When I rolled out the fondant it stuck like crazy to the mat. I rolled it out 4 times (for 1 tier) before I was satisfied with what it looked like.

What finally worked was using a ton of powered sugar on the mat. I was almost in tears and ready to call the company when I finally had a little success. I was so upset b/c the darn stuff costs so much!

Has anyone else had these issues? I do have to say that the pliability & taste of this fondant is awesome. All that powered sugar and kneading didn't dry it out one bit. I was also able to roll it a lot thinner.

8 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 9

I always use cornstarch or ample shortening with fondarific. It is designed to be more plyable, and forgiving than other fondant brands. I haven't had any problems with colors but I use Chef Master gel colors from decopac. If you use powdered sugar it will stay sticky and take way more to get where you want it which will change the flavor and make it super sweet.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 9

I use a mixture of 50/50 powdered sugar/cornstarch to roll out the fondarific. It works real well for me. Shortening just doesn't work well for me for some reason. Sometimes, especially if I've colored the fondarific, I have to let it sit for a while before I use it so it gets a little less sticky.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 22 May 2010 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 9

I make a dusting puff with 50/50 cornstarch and powdered sugar. I use a cloth hadi wipe and a piece of ribbon. I have tried shortening and it doesn't work the fondant always sticks. Fondarific was designed to be rolled with little or no dusting.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:42am
post #5 of 9

The first 2 times, I used a light smear of shortening on my mat (2nd time, more shortening). It stuck very bad. 3rd time I used a small amt of powered sugar on my mat (as suggested on the tub) and it stuck to the mat. The 4th time I used quite a bit of powered sugar and it did not stick.
I did let the fondant rest overnight after I added the color, so I don't think that was the problem.

hanacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hanacakes Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:04am
post #6 of 9

I must say I'm surprised because I don't use anything on my mat with fondarific and it never sticks. when i color it i let it sit a little while then i use it so it won't be sticky. I haven't made many cakes with fondant and as a beginner found that fondarific was so easy to use. Hope you have better luck next time. Also if its been in the microwave and got to soft let it sit out a minute to rest. Hope all this help. Good luck. it is expensive so hope it works =)

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:19pm
post #7 of 9

We haven't had problems, either.

Paul

Sherry1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry1030 Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:40pm
post #8 of 9

I used it for the first time this week and also found it sticky. I did use a little bit of shortening and that didn't help. I should've used powdered sugar but hate using it on colored fondant! It never really 'firmed up.' I appreciated my Satin Ice after that - although the Fondarific tasted great!

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:29pm
post #9 of 9

I love the taste Fondarific and they have some great colors. Unfortunately, I had so much trouble using it, I haven't bought any since.
It was too soft and stretchy and pretty much unusable. Maybe I was doing something wrong or maybe it's because the humidity is high in Florida, but I have never had so much trouble with fondant.
I have used Satin Ice and Pettinice with great success for years.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%