I Feel Really Stupid Asking, But...

Decorating By FACSlady Updated 22 May 2010 , 11:55pm by DianeLM

FACSlady Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 16

...what's the best way to get couplers out of disposable pastry bags? I'm always making a big mess.

15 replies
Montrealconfections Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 16

I us a sharp knife to cut the bag.

newmansmom2004 Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 16

Ditto - just put a sharp knife or tip of sharp scissors in the little slot of the coupler and snip, then you can start to tear the bag. Once the coupler is a bit loose, I push it back through the bag if I've used all the icing in the bag. If not, just continue tearing the bag until it comes off.

lecrn Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 16

I just squeeze out all the contents of the bag into a bowl and then squeeze the coupler out the bottom over the bowl or sink. You can't re-use the bag after doing so b/c the neck will be too stretched.

Margieluvstobake Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 16

Well, I guess I'm cheap, because I reuse my bags til they get holes in them. I turn them inside out while washing to get the coupler out.

MommaDukes Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margieluvstobake

Well, I guess I'm cheap, because I reuse my bags til they get holes in them. I turn them inside out while washing to get the coupler out.

This is a great idea!!! Gonna start that today.

samsgirl Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 16

i reuse mine as well...

lecrn Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margieluvstobake

I'm cheap too, but I just don't have the time or energy to wash them out anymore. I just use 40% off coupons and stock up.

Margieluvstobake Posted 22 May 2010 , 7:56pm
post #9 of 16

Lecrn - I understand what you mean, but I'm washing up all my other items from my baking, so it is not a lot of trouble to wash the bags too.

Classycakes Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:06pm
post #10 of 16

I reuse them too but I use icing plugs (which is icing portions wrapped in plastic wrap, twisted on top so the icing doesn't squeeze out). This keeps the bag very clean and I just pop out the plug and pop in another one when the first one is gone. When I'm finished the job, there may be a little icing residue near the coupler but I just turn the bag inside out and I can easily remove the coupler.

GenGen Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:17pm
post #11 of 16

i've reused mine for years, like some say till they get holes in them. i make sure to wash them very carefully. if i know i'm not going to have time right away i place them in a bag so that no extra mess is created etc. i did this for years cause i just couldn't afford to use and toss. now i'm slowly buying up plastic lined canvas type decorating bags, i like having that "grip" on the outside! i found some at a good price at a cash and carry store (called URM)

lilyankee5688 Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:36pm
post #12 of 16

2 days ago I went to ACMOORE, and saw they had boxes of 100 for $20.99. I have 2 50% off coupons, so I did 2 transactions and bought 2 boxes for the price of 1 box. I get so tired of buying the 12 or 24 boxes and run out.. so i figured 200 will last me a while...

ILE Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:45pm
post #13 of 16

i always reuse my bags. what i do is stick my finger all the way down to the coupler and turn it inside out .wash them good.. and they are ready for the next one.

FACSlady Posted 22 May 2010 , 9:09pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks everybody. I've used most of those methods. Didn't know the little trick about the slot in the coupler though, so I'm going to try that. I'm teaching a total of 70 kids some piping skills, so I've got a lot of bags to deal with!

cheatize Posted 22 May 2010 , 10:20pm
post #15 of 16

Warm/hot water will soften the bag making it easier to remove the coupler.

DianeLM Posted 22 May 2010 , 11:55pm
post #16 of 16

After I've removed all the collars and tips, I just slip on a pair of nitrile gloves, stand over the garbage and turn all those bags inside out to pop out the coupler.

I used to wash my disposable bags, but now I'm too lazy. I only wash the bags if they've been used for royal icing (no grease).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%