So Stupid

Business By Kitagrl Updated 30 May 2010 , 8:46am by carlee521

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 59

I am so stupid...when I have email orders sometimes I forget to get the person's phone number. Which is really bad because now I have a customer's cake due next week but they never got back with me to confirm cake flavor or any of the details other than putting a deposit and sending me a pic of the design she wants.

I have emailed her like 4 times now with no response, and its the same email as she has had for two years (repeat customer).

ARGH!!!! I guess I hope she calls me to confirm...I hate to make the cake without knowing what she wants (I'd probably just do what she ordered last year which was chocolate and vanilla) and then have her not pick up the cake, but on the other hand she has a deposit put down so I can't just not make it...

*sigh*

Note to self: GET PHONE NUMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (In all her old emails, even contact forms from my site, she never included a phone number...nor Paypal payments....)

58 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 59

Yeah..I always forget to do that too..Even though I prefer email..If I haven't heard from a customer etc I like to phone.

Kitagrl Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 59

What should I do if I can't call to confirm the order? (Deposit paid) I mean for all I know, she could be deathly ill and not want the cake any longer....on the other hand, her computer could have a virus and she hasn't thought to call me....(another recent customer had a virus and I had to play phone tag a few times to finish confirming her order.)

I'm very busy and do not want to do her cake if I cannot get ahold of her but on the other hand I don't want her showing up for a cake I don't have. *sigh*

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 59

You could try the phonebook...I know...needle in a haystack but I have resorted to that...Do you have an address...You could try and search through that...If only email addresses we trackable through the web like type in a name and all their emails addys come up...Yah right!

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 59

This happened to me too one time. I didn't get their email response after three days, and I ended up finding the # on whitepages.com...have you tried that? Hth!

Kitagrl Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 59

I'll have to try it...although she goes by a name I don't think its her real one and most people use cell phones these days.....

Kitagrl Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 59

Nope no phone numbers listed in the white pages online under the address and her (husband's?) name....

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 59

Do you know where she or her husband work? You may be able to reach them there??

luminajd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luminajd Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 59

Any idea where she works? Or know anyone she knows?

Kitagrl Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 59

I have NO clue about any of that...my husband said I should stop by her house haha.

Kitagrl Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:02pm
post #11 of 59

Guess I could try a last minute letter...

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:06pm
post #12 of 59

If you know her home address, just stick a note on her front door asking her to call you.

Kitagrl Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:08pm
post #13 of 59

I'm going to throw a postcard in the mail with an urgent note to call me...if I send it tomorrow she should get it Tuesday.....although its gonna cramp my style not to be able to bake her cake until I hear from her. Grr.

I guess I could just bake what I think she'll want and then upsell that flavor to her when she calls. haha. (Choc and Van like last year)

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:17pm
post #14 of 59

Facebook search by email?

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:33pm
post #15 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

Facebook search by email?

I was going to suggest that too icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:36pm
post #16 of 59

u know what I always forget..... How did you hear about us???

DH gets frustrated cause we used a few ways of advertising and we want to see which one(s) working better.....

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:59pm
post #17 of 59

Just maybe add that to your signature so When you start an email it's already on there... Just a thought...

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 22 May 2010 , 7:18pm
post #18 of 59

if you put her email into google it may turn something up.
xx

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 22 May 2010 , 7:20pm
post #19 of 59

if you put her email into google it may turn something up.
xx

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 22 May 2010 , 7:34pm
post #20 of 59

Try spokeo.com it shows cell phone #'s and landline# just put in name, city, and state.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 May 2010 , 10:45pm
post #21 of 59

Google her name, that should bring up something.

Kitagrl Posted 22 May 2010 , 11:04pm
post #22 of 59

Man there is no phone number anywhere, on any site.

Hopefully she'll respond to my postcard.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 22 May 2010 , 11:29pm
post #23 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

u know what I always forget..... How did you hear about us???

DH gets frustrated cause we used a few ways of advertising and we want to see which one(s) working better.....

I always forget that, too. My husband wants me to ask every single enquiry I get where they heard of me... I have it on my order form, but I don't often ask when people phone and call (and may not go ahead and order).

Kitagrl Posted 22 May 2010 , 11:45pm
post #24 of 59

Must be a guy thing, my hub asks me too!

KitchenConvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenConvert Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:32am
post #25 of 59

I think the postcard/note on the door idea is a good one. The other idea (that you could incorporate on both an postcard and e-mail) is to say "if I haven't heard from you by x date/day of the week, I'll go ahead and make the flavors you ordered last year." That way, you at least give her a firm deadline and you can move forward with the order, knowing that you've done what you can to clarify details and she has a legitimate heads up.

Kitagrl Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:39am
post #26 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchenConvert

I think the postcard/note on the door idea is a good one. The other idea (that you could incorporate on both an postcard and e-mail) is to say "if I haven't heard from you by x date/day of the week, I'll go ahead and make the flavors you ordered last year." That way, you at least give her a firm deadline and you can move forward with the order, knowing that you've done what you can to clarify details and she has a legitimate heads up.

True but on the other hand if I don't hear from her...is she going to even be picking up her cake?

I HAVE had people cancel a cake even after they've paid a deposit....I only require $50 deposits....

I guess I'll have to though....

Its just worrying me because she was emailing me back and forth pretty good when she placed the order but now....nothing.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:01pm
post #27 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:

True but on the other hand if I don't hear from her...is she going to even be picking up her cake?

I HAVE had people cancel a cake even after they've paid a deposit....I only require $50 deposits....

Its just worrying me because she was emailing me back and forth pretty good when she placed the order but now....nothing.

Time to start charging a much larger deposit. People are less likely to walk away if they have plunked down a bigger chunk of change. I require a 50% non-refundable deposit for any order.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:19pm
post #28 of 59

Also check facebook by name and location. I have about 6 email accounts and the one I use for facebook is not the one I give out. Do you freeze your cakes. I'd bake the choc/ vanilla and freeze. If she calls great. If not, they're simple flavors you can use for a later cake.

Kitagrl Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:36pm
post #29 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:

Time to start charging a much larger deposit. People are less likely to walk away if they have plunked down a bigger chunk of change. I require a 50% non-refundable deposit for any order.

I guess its because I'm "too nice"....I know things happen and I don't want people losing a hundred bucks just because something comes up or somebody gets sick or loses a job. I don't feel bad keeping $50 but I'd feel bad keeping half the total.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:05pm
post #30 of 59

Kitagrl, You can be nice and still do more to protect yourself. Collect a bigger deposit so that the customer has a bigger investment and will be motivated to finalize decisions, respond, etc. If a situation comes up where you opt to return part, even all, of that deposit, you have the option to do so.

Remember, if it's in your contract that you keep a certain amount upon cancellation, it means that you are entitled to do it... not that you have to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%