Wow Factor

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 25 May 2010 , 11:04pm by superstar

Kitagrl Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 18

Do you think all your cakes have a "wow" factor to them, or just some of them?

I feel sort of "stagnant" lately but maybe its just because I haven't liked my designs lately....having trouble getting into the cakes lately I guess.

Do you go through periods of feeling like your cakes just aren't quite up to par, and then you get back into your "groove" of doing the extra nice stuff again?

17 replies
egensinnig Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 18

Absolutely - I'm feeling very uninspired at the moment. Delivered two cakes today that I didn't even take a photo of because they had no wow-factor and I had no creative flow whilst making them. It used to be so much fun and I was on a cake high after each cake, but not anymore....And I have wedding cakes and cupcakes I need to do for the upcming weekends and I'm not thrilled at all. I hope this is just a phase and that i will get back to my normal cake joy - and you as well!

indydebi Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 18

I always felt the "stacked with ribbon around the base" or the dots/scrolls were just "blah" cakes. Basic. Plain. You don't need any talent to do these kind of designs. Pretty dang blah.

But ... they are fast, easy, and paid the bills! icon_biggrin.gif

yums Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 18

I feel ya. My last cake (up until 3am last night) just did not go as planned and I have no ambition to do another cake right now. Received an order for a "simple" Iron Man cake and I have not a clue what to do. Maybe its not you, sometimes people just give you their idea of a perfect cake and you don't like it at all. I'm sure you'll see something soon that will spark your interest.

KHalstead Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 18

I"m still waiting for a cake with the "wow" factor lol

Everyone has their moments when they just don't "feel" a design or don't "feel like doing" the design lol.

I always hate when I get a block when someone gives me free reign over the design......suddenly I forget about the 200 cake designs I've been DYING to try out for the last 2 yrs.!!! lol

noahsmummy Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 18

i dont think my cakes have ever had the "wow" factor.. lol

but ill keep trying until i eventually get there.. mind you they always have the "wow" factor as im designing them in my head.. but, they never turn out just right. =( lol

preciosa225 Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 18

LOL...Kahlstead, I know EXACTLY what you mean and now I feel so much better knowing it's not just me. Sometimes I can't stand when people are very SPECIFIC and don't give me leeway for anything because I feel it stumps my creativity but then when someone gives me free reign I'm stuck!

And I have been feeling the same way as the OP as well lately. Hopefully it is a phase every decorator goes through from time to time.

emrldsky Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:10pm
post #8 of 18

I have moments when I'm totally proud of work I've done, and then others where I'm too ashamed to show anyone the photos (there are several cake pictures that aren't even on here, but are on my photobucket account, just to remind me).

And since I do cakes for free, those "bad" cakes really make me wishy-washy about starting a business. I mean, my last cake (wedding present for a very good friend of mine) really surprised me how wonderfully elegant it turned out. I'm still on a bit of a compliment-high for that one. icon_wink.gif

But some cakes I've done for family make me cringe. *shrug*

I have, however, figured out that the more I plan and think about a cake design, the better it turns out.

CakeInfatuation Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 18

Suzy... what are you talking about? That peacock feather cake is amazing! I look at it and am in awe! I wish I knew how you achieved the look. In fact, I am in awe of a LOT of your work and was showing off your stuff to my parents last night. I told them that if I ever get a partner, it will be YOU, because your work is amazing!

Keep in mind that we are all our own worst critic. You have some idea in your head of what you are trying to achieve. Some orders, won't go there. They can't based on the guidelines you've been given. I've got LOADS of cakes that I was disappointed in how they turned out. BUT the customer was thrilled, I got referrals, and I got PAID!

More likely than not your client's were WOW'd. It's you who wasn't. You see the imperfections, you know what you were aiming for, you know what went wrong. All they see is the final product. And (although you won't show ALL your pics) every one of the cakes you've made that I have seen has been wonderful!

CAKE ON!

KHalstead Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:05pm
post #10 of 18

you've got a point about us being our own worst critics.

I just delivered a carved bowl of spaghetti cake on top of a sheet cake decorated to look like a cutting board w/ a breadstick and 2 garlic cloves and I honestly thought it looked like a 5 yr. old did it!!

I was embarassed to bring it! It was a bday party for my BFF's grandmother and I was staying for the party so I was REALLY embarassed. Then people started gathering around taking pictures and saying "Oh my goodness, this is the most amazing cake I've ever seen in my life...this is insane, how can this be cake?" I mean they went nuts.........then someone said who made it and my BFF turned around and said.......my friend Tina, right here! Then they all started asking me for business cards and telling me how wonderful it was!

I honestly thought it looked terrible......the color on the cutting board was way OFF, and didn't look anything like wood, the bowl was crooked and had creases where it shouldn't have had creases........the breadstick looked like...........I don't know what! My DH thought the garlic cloves were chunks of onion too lol

Cake muggles!!!! That's what we have to tell ourselves.

Although on Saturday I had to deliver a wedding cake for a b&g and the groom was a pastry chef (talk about pressure).......and he walks in of course while I'm trying to pipe to fill in the HUGE gap between my cakes since I had blowouts attempting to "Blow out" so I didn't cut the sps legs all the way down so the cakes sat with no gap for fear the blow outs would BLOW! So I was piping gobs of icing in the crevice before putting on the border when the groom walks in!! lol

My pastor was the one doing the ceremony so I got the scoop from him on Sunday at church (he also stayed for the reception) and they all LOVED the cake......he said the groom was "bragging" about how wonderful it was and how he couldn't have done any better himself!

wheeewww! lol p.s. I thought their cake looked aweful too! lol

mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 18

Tina, I had to laugh at your "spaghetti cake" story. That's exactly the way I felt about my grandson's cake. I had to do a Mario cake because that's what my grandson wanted. I have never even made a gumpaste/fondant figure before and it is obvious icon_lol.gif The muchrooms were easy but Mario looks odd to say the least. I dreaded doing it so much that I didn't even make the figures until the night before it was due.

As far as the "wow factor" goes I don't think I've ever decorated a cake that had it. Give me time though...I'm trying. icon_smile.gif

cheatize Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:29pm
post #12 of 18

I've had cakes that lack the wow- some due to me, some due to the customer. They can have a great lack of imagination.
I've had cakes that I'm embarrassed about b/c they look like doody. Good idea, bad execution kind of thing.

One of the hardest parts for me is to keep my trap shut and let others judge for themselves. I really need to stop putting down the cake in front of others.

jenmat Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:42pm
post #13 of 18

Well, some customers want to pay for WOW factor and some just want a good tasting cake. Business is business, and I like that not all of them want WOW. I'm also glad I don't put pressure on myself to always do that.
WOW= pressure to me, and you can't work like that all the time! Just be thankful that people still want to pay you even when you don't have WOW!

KHalstead Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:32pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

One of the hardest parts for me is to keep my trap shut and let others judge for themselves. I really need to stop putting down the cake in front of others.

I hear ya on that one

Replace the following phrases:

"The frosting isn't perfectly smooth" replace with = Thank you!

"There is a finger dent I didn't see that I put in the cake while stacking it" replace with = Oh, you're so nice....thank you so much!

"I can't believe you don't want your money back with the way it looks" replace with = Thank you, it was a pleasure to make it for you!

LOL

indydebi Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:14pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Replace the following phrases:

"The frosting isn't perfectly smooth" replace with = Thank you!

"There is a finger dent I didn't see that I put in the cake while stacking it" replace with = Oh, you're so nice....thank you so much!

"I can't believe you don't want your money back with the way it looks" replace with = Thank you, it was a pleasure to make it for you!

WHen I would set up wedding cakes, I'd talk to myself ... especially when others were in the room .... saying things like, "OMG, is this the most gorgeous cake you've ever SEEN???" and "Brim you are a freakin' GENIUS!!!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

KHalstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:31am
post #16 of 18

lol Debi!! that's great!!!

cheatize Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:25am
post #17 of 18

Oh, no, Debi! That would a whole different kind of disaster for me. When I talk to myself it's not long before I'm talking out loud to myself and with phrases like that I just know it would evolve to a falsetto voice and some twirling. LMAO

Yeah, my kids have watched way too musicals and constantly listen to the music from them.

For now, I mostly repeat to myself on the drive for delivery, "Thank them and then shut up. Thank them and shut up. Shut up, shut up, shut up."

superstar Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:04pm
post #18 of 18

Debbie! you are a hoot. I love your sense of humor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%