Levelling - Push Down Method?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 23 May 2010 , 3:47am by cakesrock

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 11

I have seen CCers refer to pushing down the cake to level instead of using a leveler.

How long after you take it out of the oven should this be done? Is it good for Choc WASC? (it always crumbles on me!) Any other tips/tricks?

TIA

10 replies
cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 11

Hi ~ I generally start pressing down after I take the cake out of the oven and set it on the cooling rack but before I turn it out of the pan. So it's the first 10 min while it's still hot.

It's worked every time for me since I learned of doing this. Don't know about the WASC cake but don't see why it wouldn't work for that too.

Good luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 11

I used this method the other day with WASC and the cake split on me. I used it anyway but just wanted to warn you about that. Even when usinig this method of leveling I usually have to trim something here or there for my cake to be perfectly level.

cakesrock Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 11

I find that no matter what I do, my choc WASC splits on me!

Do you just use your bare hands?

cakes47 Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 11

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! The cake is HOT!!! I use potholders and press down & keep moving it to
make it level and to make sure the holder won't stick.

dburris1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dburris1 Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 11

You do it right after you pull the cake outta the oven. I have a fabric hot pad that I only use for this. I lay the pad over the cake and smooth my hand over the top of it so i don't burn myself.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 11

I use a kitchen towel and press down gently going over the surface several times. Then after 10 min or so I flip it over so the bottom becomes the top of the cake and it's perfectly level

cakes47 Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 11

Yes, after the 10 min pan cool/press time, flip the cake onto the rack to continue
to cool. Let us know how you do. icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 11

I also squash it down immediately after removing from the oven. I use a cardboard cake circle that's a size or two smaller than the pan size so the circle doesn't get stuck in the pan and it allows the cake to puff up around the sides while flattening the middle.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:07pm
post #10 of 11

As soon as the cake comes out of the oven I put a piece of wax paper over the cake, then a card board cake circle (or square or whatever size is the same as the pan) and then a ceramic tile on top. Squishes it right down. Works great for me.

cakesrock Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:47am
post #11 of 11

I tried the wax paper and the cake board and it worked quite well - no splitting, thankfully! I did not have a tile, so I pressed down on it. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%