Black Gumpaste?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 23 May 2010 , 2:24pm by sillywabbitz

confectionsofahousewife Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all! I need some black gumpaste and was wondering if I can buy it somwhere or do I have to make it? I need quite a bit to make some large panels and the thought of making it makes me shudder! Its so sticky when you add lots of color to it. Thanks for any input.

12 replies
PinkLisa Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 13

I buy black fondant and add tylose. Works great. I do the same for red.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 13

I've tried that and it never seems to harden. I just made some black numbers for a cake last week and after 5 days they still wouldn't stand up because they were collapsing. How much are you supposed to add? I added several tablespoons to a small handful of black fondant.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 13

Could you just paint it black with food coloring?

newmansmom2004 Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 13

I mix the Wilton Gum-Tex in my fondant to make gumpaste and it does harden. You might try that.

mamawrobin Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I mix the Wilton Gum-Tex in my fondant to make gumpaste and it does harden. You might try that.

It doesn't work for me just like confections results when adding tylose to her fondant. I get the same results...after 5 days still not hardend. I don't know but maybe it's a humidity issue. icon_confused.gif

I used quite a bit of blace gumpaste yesterday and I just colored it with Wilton black. It didn't take all that much to color the gumpaste. Nothing like trying to get my fondant black. The gumpaste took the color much better than my fondant. I was actually very supriised and it didn't change my gumpaste texture either as some coloring does.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 22 May 2010 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_girl816

Genius! Don't know why I didn't think of that. Do you think it will dry? I hand painted some black zebra stripes on white fondant and whenever I touched them I still got black smudges on my fingers even after several days of drying

mamawrobin- I was wondering about humidity too. I live in SW MO so we prob have about the same humidity. I do use the wilton gumtex and it still never dries.

PinkLisa Posted 22 May 2010 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 13

I've never had the drying problem. What are you using to paint with? I would use a mix of dusts and alcohol.

casme Posted 22 May 2010 , 11:48pm
post #9 of 13

If you can get America black you won't need nearly as much to get a rich black. Keep your hands well greased with crisoand it will help with the stickiness. If I have a lot to do I wear plastic gloves greased up till the stickiness goes away.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:37am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_girl816

Genius! Don't know why I didn't think of that. Do you think it will dry? I hand painted some black zebra stripes on white fondant and whenever I touched them I still got black smudges on my fingers even after several days of drying

it should, but I can't guarantee it, sometimes mine does and sometimes it doesn't it's really weird. It does work though. Maybe the less color you use the better it will dry and if it's still sticky after a day maybe very lightly go over it with some vodka or something to help dry it out, HTHs!

confectionsofahousewife Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks for all the help! I think I will try to color it black myself (I do use Americolor black) and if that doesn't work I will paint it.

Jenn2179 Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:19pm
post #12 of 13

Make your own using Nicholas Lodge's recipe. Add the black color in before adding the powdered sugar when you are making it.

sillywabbitz Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:24pm
post #13 of 13

What about mixing black satin ice with some Wilton gumpaste that you've tinted grey. Won't that give you the best of both worlds? I have tried it but that was my plan when I wanted a black bow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%