Name Spelled Out In Cake?

Decorating By mbark Updated 22 May 2010 , 4:09pm by mbark

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:28am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,
I just got a call from a lady interested in a cake spelling out her daughter's name (Inez) to feed 100+!
How would I figure out how big to make the letters? I would think bake them each out of a 1/4 or 1/2 sheet pan & then carve them. I'm also thinking I would have to charge her for all the cake scraps I'd end up with (umm, good time to think about doing some cake balls, huh?).
And lastly, she wants it to be gold- can luster dust be used on buttercream?
icon_confused.gif

5 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:29am
post #2 of 6

One 9x13 will feed 24 (2x2x2) before carving so if you bake 4 of those, that would feed 100 BEFORE you cut out each letter. Start with that and lay out each one on graph paper to see how much you'd need to cut away. You'd still need to charge for ALL the servings, even though many will be lost in carving.

That being said, I'd suggest starting with a 2 layer 9x13 for each letter (about 200 servings total in 4 cakes) then carve. Making the letters "fat" will lose fewer servings during carving.

2-Layer servings are 1x2x4. Likely you'd be able to cut larger servings than that, or have cake left over.

mbark Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:30am
post #3 of 6

awesome, thanks for the direction sugarfrosted!

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:40am
post #4 of 6

What does the lady think of having the cake balls too, to compliment the letter cakes? I think it'd be a cute and original way to get all the servings. icon_smile.gif

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:56am
post #5 of 6

I like robyn's suggestion. cakeballs or such to go with the name. OR make a large sheet cake (like 2 11X15's put end to end) and put the letters on top of that. I did that with a cross cake and really liked the outcome.

mbark Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 6

yes I will have to check with her. thanks for all your input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%