Beware! New Online Phonebook Shows Private Info

Lounge By SugarFrosted Updated 22 May 2010 , 7:38pm by CWR41

SugarFrosted Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:51am
post #1 of 6

WARNING!!! New online phone book shows personal info. Has EVERYTHING incl. pictures posted, address, income, age, etc.

To REMOVE yourself: first search for yourself on Spokeo using your email address, to locate and copy the URL of your page, then click "Privacy" on the bottom right of page.

I searched for myself and I was astonished/astounded/dismayed at all the info available about me. It appears in order to get more info, you need to subscribe to some sort of service on that site. I immediately removed my info for my name and all my different email addresses by following the directions I have described above.

Be sure and search your name(s) and ALL of your email addresses and remove each one.

5 replies
CookieMakinMomma Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:22am
post #2 of 6

This same text has been floating around Facebook for a few weeks now. Do some reading before you hand spokeo your email. You are better off tightening your security settings on various websites. <- read the comments on this one too

indydebi Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:53am
post #3 of 6

I saw this on facebook and had a good laugh over it. It shows my niece and nephew live with me (they live 75 miles away); they show me as "Black" (I'm not); they show my daughter lives with me but listed me as having no children; they show my house is worth $1 million (not if I lined it in gold and waited out the recession for the next 20 years!) AND the house is in a "below average" neighborhood.

These kinds of "warnings" also give me chuckle because everyone is all nervous about their info being on the internet, like its a big new thing or something. Get real, people.

Banks, lawyers, tax collectors, collection agencies have been able to find people LONG before the internet was ever thought about. My husband spent some time in collections when he was a banker. With NO INTERNET, he'd be able to skip-trace someone ("skip trace": find someone who owes you money who appears to have dropped off of the face of the earth) ... he could find out where they lived, where they worked, their phone number, their spouse and kids addresses and phone numbers, and sometimes even what bar they liked to visit on saturday night.

When I sold life insurance, with just a reverse phone book and a Rand McNally atlas, I could find every single client. I NEVER had to ask for directions. If Rand McNally did have your town in an atlas ... no problem!! Your friendly neighborhood Chamber of Commerce gave me a map to your town and I could find your house in a nano-second.

Why people get all upset because "omg they can find me online!" just kills me, because they've ALWAYS been able to find you.

it's nothing new.

emrldsky Posted 22 May 2010 , 11:38am
post #4 of 6

I don't think the big issue is that the information is there, just that it's all in one place, in a neat package. :/

I did remove mine, haven't gotten spammed from them, and I didn't sign up for any of their services. My social networking sites have been locked down for some time now, but you can only do so much once that information is released.

And it doesn't help when your local paper prints lists of homes recently sold/bought and who bought them.

And a funny thing? My dad has NEVER used the Internet, EVER, and he has an entry there. Wonder if they got his information from my mom's sites. *shrug* It's not entirely correct, but quite a bit of it is.

Jenny0730 Posted 22 May 2010 , 12:43pm
post #5 of 6

This is hilarious! Apparently, I live with my husband, BIL, deceased grandmother-in-law, and FIL. My MIL must live by herself. We make over a million dollars and my home is in a below average neighborhood. We don't have central air or heat. I enjoy playing football.

Yeah.....none of that is true.

Honestly, there is nothing on there of substance. Name and address are easily found. Who cares if I have a pet?

CWR41 Posted 22 May 2010 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 6
Originally Posted by emrldsky

And it doesn't help when your local paper prints lists of homes recently sold/bought and who bought them.

It's all public record anyway. You can look up all the info you want about personal property/tax records from the books at your local county clerk/assessor's office, call and inquire over the phone (as long as it's onsies/twosies), or buy the information on CD for each county for $500-$1000 per disc with support.

Quote by @%username% on %date%