Attaching Fondant Belt & Buckle To B/c Cake

Decorating By lscain1 Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 3:49pm by lscain1

lscain1  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lscain1 Posted 21 May 2010 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making a cake that looks like western jeans. I saw several pictures on here that I liked. They have a fondant belt going around them with a buckle on it and belt loops. The belt looks so heavy I'm afraid that the weight will eventually pull it down. Has anyone made this before? How can I assure that it won't fall? Oh, btw, I'm not covering the cake with fondant. I'm using buttercream to cover it and fondant for the belt and buckle. Thanks!

7 replies
 Ballymena  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 8

Shouldn't be a problem.

lscain1 Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:15am
post #3 of 8

Do I just put water on it to stick it or something else? I normally use water and it is fine but I have had things start to slide a little and they were much smaller. (I'm new at the fondant stuff.)

Ballymena  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:16am
post #4 of 8

If your buttercream has crusted just put a thin layer of fresh buttercream on the back of the belt. If it hasn't crusted it should hold as is.

DianeLM  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 8

I've used melted chocolate to glue heavy items to bc. Works great and dries fast. Royal icing works too, but it doesn't dry fast enough, IMO.

lscain1 Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 8

Okay, thanks! I've never used melted chocolate. What kind do you get?

DianeLM  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 8

I just use candy melts.

lscain1 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all of your advice! I ended up just using buttercream and it worked fine, but I split the belt in half and it was covered by the belt loops and buckle. That way it was a little easier to work with. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%