Attaching Fondant Belt & Buckle To B/c Cake

Decorating By lscain1 Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 3:49pm by lscain1

lscain1 Posted 21 May 2010 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making a cake that looks like western jeans. I saw several pictures on here that I liked. They have a fondant belt going around them with a buckle on it and belt loops. The belt looks so heavy I'm afraid that the weight will eventually pull it down. Has anyone made this before? How can I assure that it won't fall? Oh, btw, I'm not covering the cake with fondant. I'm using buttercream to cover it and fondant for the belt and buckle. Thanks!

7 replies
Ballymena Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 8

Shouldn't be a problem.

lscain1 Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:15am
post #3 of 8

Do I just put water on it to stick it or something else? I normally use water and it is fine but I have had things start to slide a little and they were much smaller. (I'm new at the fondant stuff.)

Ballymena Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:16am
post #4 of 8

If your buttercream has crusted just put a thin layer of fresh buttercream on the back of the belt. If it hasn't crusted it should hold as is.

DianeLM Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 8

I've used melted chocolate to glue heavy items to bc. Works great and dries fast. Royal icing works too, but it doesn't dry fast enough, IMO.

lscain1 Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 8

Okay, thanks! I've never used melted chocolate. What kind do you get?

DianeLM Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 8

I just use candy melts.

lscain1 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all of your advice! I ended up just using buttercream and it worked fine, but I split the belt in half and it was covered by the belt loops and buckle. That way it was a little easier to work with. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%