Oh Man. Sps...i'm Screwed.

Decorating By onlymadaresane Updated 22 May 2010 , 1:09am by leah_s

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 12

I love the SPS...it's worked well for me. I've got my first wedding cakes (yes, plural- I'm crazy) tomorrow. I ordered my supplies weeks ago like a good girl. Go to make sure that the cake is the right height after I frosted all pretty smooth....bam. I bet I've got a good inch too much cake! I don't have the special extender sps legs...I thought I did--turned out to be the standard 4".

Is there anyway to salvage this?! Can I cut and glue the sps legs together to make up that inch?! Or is that asking for serious disaster. Think lowes or Home depot would have a plastic pipe that'd work for that?! I have no idea what I'm gonna do!!!
LL
LL

11 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 12

I would run to a craft store and get the plastic wilton dowels and hot glue them into your sps plate sockets!

onlymadaresane Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 12

That's a good idea! Will they hold up okay? I'll wait to stack them till I get to the venue if that'll work...

Are the wilton ones adjustable? Or just easy to cut?

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 12

pm leah-s, she is our resident SPS expert, and good luck!!

Are you sure it's an inch, did you take into account the cake board, and 1/8in or so of the where the legs connect?

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 12

If it were me -- and it has been me in this situation -- I would take some of the buttercreme off and rework it until smooth again. I trust SPS so much now, that I will not use anything else, and I would not want dried glue inside a cake holding 2 pieces of plastic together.

And yes - I have taken the layers apart, trimmed cake if necessary, torted/filled again and reiced. Usually after you do this once, it doesn't happen again -- it was enough work and stress that I learned to measure as I work.

HTH
Suze

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 12

Agreed. I would cut the cake down to size and re-ice. More work now, but nothing compared to a cake that falls over.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 12

I think even walmart has the wilton plastic dowels - they will work - I would do that before I redid the cake completely. They are easy to cut with a sharp serrated knife.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 12

I would think that the wilton plastic dowels would work....

good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 12

I PM'd you. I like the W plastic dowels and hot glue better than reverting to wooden dowels. ::falls to the floor in a faint::

Now - buy a bag of the multi-piece legs that come with a 5" leg and a bag of the 9" legs for your "just in case" drawer.

onlymadaresane Posted 22 May 2010 , 12:22am
post #10 of 12

Leah I'm so going to!! And thank you a 1000x over for your help ladies!

I'm using wilton's 'hidden' pillar. They fit to the OUTSIDE of the sps...actually fit pretty snug too...not SPS snug- but they hold their own. I think this might work!

Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 22 May 2010 , 12:39am
post #11 of 12

what is an sps

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:09am
post #12 of 12

read my siggy

|
|
|
|