Flower Nail Causing My Cakes To Crack!!

Decorating By tavyheather Updated 21 May 2010 , 10:09pm by tavyheather

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 7

Never used the flower nail technique..know Im doing it correctly b/c I saw the tutorial...used it on 2 of the 3 choc brownie cakes I made yesterday...both cakes I used it for cracked from the center out, and now after I stacked them with two layers of buttercream dream and fresh strawberries, they're falling apart!!!! argh!!!!

I literally have plastic wrap and my springform pan holding the cake up...it looks like a little kid with vertigo iced my cake...

Hoping a layer of ganache will hold it together under the fondant (and it will have frill on 3/4 of it so luckily the uneven sides wont really matter)

6 replies
malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 7

I've never made a brownie cake but I use the flower nail technique with any cake over 10" and have never had any issues. ??? Sorry!!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 7

What size cakes did you use the flower nail on?

I don't usually worry about such things if it's under 12 inches or so. A huge cake, I might use the flower nail, but normally it's just not necessary.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 7

I use flower nails in all my cakes, helps them bake faster without getting too brown (I hate to bake and I'm really impatient) and I never have issues with it cracking!

tavyheather Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 7

I used it on an 8 inch...it did seem to dome a bit less, and no browning (though I usually dont have tht prob w/ this cake anyway)...and I used the crisco/oil/flour recipe for greasing..the cake fell out of the pan so tht wasn't the prob..I have no idea what was!! Maybe I should only do it if it's over 10 or 12 inches...

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 7

Just in case you haven't thought of this, if you flip your cake out when it's still really hot and it's not perfectly level on top, the cake can split due to it being on an uneven surface (the cake top). The cake needs to set a bit before flipping it out. I try to rough level using the top of the pan before flipping as well. HTH icon_smile.gif

tavyheather Posted 21 May 2010 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirt

Just in case you haven't thought of this, if you flip your cake out when it's still really hot and it's not perfectly level on top, the cake can split due to it being on an uneven surface (the cake top). The cake needs to set a bit before flipping it out. I try to rough level using the top of the pan before flipping as well. HTH icon_smile.gif

good thinking...I follow the directions of letting it sit in the pan for 5 minutes, then I flip top-down and place another rack on the bottom and flip again, so it's dome-side-up...thought tht was fine but apparently any time spend dome-side-down is bad..I've never tried rough leveling..sounds like I need to do tht!! thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%