I Am Getting Ready To Cry-Fondant Bowling Ball!!!!!

Decorating By hails Updated 22 May 2010 , 3:07am by hails

hails Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 9

Hi to all hope you are having a great day. Sorry to be a bother but I am in serious need here, I have searched high and low and can not find a tutorial or better yet a clip on how to cover a bowling ball cake with fondant. I have checked you tube and googled back and front...lol
I have covered my cake twice and had to take it all off and throw away my fondant. I can not get the bottom smooth at all lots of creases and my fondant has ripped, PLEASE HELP thanks in advance, take care Hails

8 replies
Loucinda Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 9

I saw on tv where they covered a round with modeling chocolate instead of fondant, that way the seams and such were easier to smooth out. Not sure if this is any help or not.

What about covering it twice?

dalis4joe Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 9

same here as Loucinda....

I saw the same episode

KHalstead Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 9

see if sugarshack is around (she's so helpful) she did a big cherry cake and it was flawless as usual! Maybe she can give you some pointers.

Maybe try looking for "covering sports ball in fondant" or something like that, instead of JUST a bowling ball....any round shape would be similar right?

CWR41 Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 9

In some cases, the bottom half of a ball/globe shape is styrofoam. That solves further problems with getting fondant to work against gravity. If your cake is already round, and you have no luck with modeling chocolate, you might consider cutting it in half to cover each with fondant separately. Once you're certain that it has adhered, you could join the two halves back together and smooth the seam.

cs_confections Posted 21 May 2010 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 9

I haven't covered a large ball yet - just the mini sports ball for this cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1659298

I rolled the fondant a little thicker than usual and placed the ball on something smaller than it was. Starting at the top, I smoothed downward (pullout out and resmoothing creases that tried to develop) as I would with a regular cake. With the fondant being thicker, it stretched without tearing and seemed much more forgiving. When I got to the bottom, I cut off a bunch of the excess, leaving just enough to cover the bottom, and used my hands to smooth it under. I went back with my fondant smoothers to even out/smooth the finish of the fondant.

Good luck!

glendaleAZ Posted 22 May 2010 , 12:59am
post #8 of 9

This is how I covered my tea pot cake. Hope it helps.

Put a very thin layer (just enough for stickiness) of buttercream around the entire ball, then put the cake in the frig (not freezer) for around ½ hour to get cold.

Roll out your fondant about 1/4 inch think (you start out thick because the fondant will stretch as you cover the ball).

Pull the cake from the frig and place it on top of a small clean tuna can (or something similar in size).

Drape the fondant "wide" over the ball.

Start at the top of the ball and begin "slowly" smoothing the fondant around and slowly down the sides of the ball cake (dont pull or press to hard against the cake).

Keep the skirt of the fondant away from the bottom of the ball cake, until you're ready to smooth it against it.

Just FYI - My tea pot cake was made from a box cake, and is all cake.

Hope things get better for you.

hails Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:07am
post #9 of 9

Oh my goodness thanks for all you help ladies it was great, you are all awesome! Have a fantastic weekend!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%