Light, Airy, Fluffy Cupcakes

Baking By Princess35 Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 9:48pm by Princess35

Princess35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess35 Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 13

I have a wedding in August and while I love the bride I'm going a little crazy. She is doing lemon cupcakes and then a single almond cake tier for them to cut. We did one tasting and she said she loved the flavor and the frosting but wanted a very light, airy, and fluffy cupcake instead. So I suggested possibly doing flavored angel food which she agreed upon.

Now we are 2wks away from the 2nd tasting and she decided she might want to do red velvet for her cake. And she doesn't want angel food cupcakes because she thinks angel food is too spongy(which mine is not!!!). So I am scrambling to figure out a light, airy, fluffy, not angel food cupcake recipe that can either be flavored almond or lemon. Oh and now I have to do red velvet too.

Please help....any suggestions for this cupcake recipe?!?!?!?

12 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 13

So she tasted the lemon cupcakes? Was it a cake that had yolks or just egg whites? I was thinking white cakes are usually light and fluffy.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 13

I just did an Orange Chiffon Cake (Epicurious web site) for my MIL's birthday. It looked like too much for my pan ( it was!), so I made a dozen cupcakes with the extra batter. They were GREAT. My DH loved them. They had a more cakey texture than an angel food cake, but still with the springy-ness. You could sub lemon for the orange.

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 13

I sent you a PM with the recipe I use.

Princess35 Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 13

Yes she tasted the lemon cupcakes and loved the flavor but not the texture of them. It was a batter which had sour cream and whole eggs in it but it was more on the dense side.

Thanks for the recipes...guess I'll try experimenting before our next tasting icon_rolleyes.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 13

I would try a batter that has milk or buttermilk in it, and not sour cream.

Sour cream adds a richness that is a bit heavier. In Shirley Corriher Bakewise book she states that the cream, sour cream and cream cheese will all make a denser cake.

And instead of tweaking the recipe you have, you can search for cake batters that have milk or buttermilk. It'll be a lot easier, especially when the wedding is so close.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 May 2010 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 13

victoria sponge, way to go!
and next time, start charging for changes so close to the date!
xx

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 23 May 2010 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 13

I don't usually use boxed mixes, but what about just using as lemon boxed mix? Everyone seems to love the texture of boxed mixes.

Princess35 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 13

So we did the tasting Saturday I made her a diff recipe for lemon cupcakes(using buttermilk) and some lemon angel food cupcakes. I explained to her to get the light/airy texture she wants she is going to have to go with angel food. She said she doesn't even care...the only reason she said anything was because her mother-in-law wanted light and airy cupcakes icon_eek.gif I almost fell off the chair. I understand wanting to keep mom-in-law-to-be happy but seriously to let her make your wedding cake decisions?!?

LindaF144a Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess35

So we did the tasting Saturday I made her a diff recipe for lemon cupcakes(using buttermilk) and some lemon angel food cupcakes. I explained to her to get the light/airy texture she wants she is going to have to go with angel food. She said she doesn't even care...the only reason she said anything was because her mother-in-law wanted light and airy cupcakes icon_eek.gif I almost fell off the chair. I understand wanting to keep mom-in-law-to-be happy but seriously to let her make your wedding cake decisions?!?

LOL! I would not let my MIL dictate that. I remember arguing with my own Mother who wanted chocolate and I wanted vanilla. Too bad, it is my wedding and I am getting vanilla.

Was her MIL with her? The way I see it you are off the hook. She can justifiably say to her MIL that she asked for it. Light and fluffy can mean so many things to many people, who knows if you will be able to get it exactly the way the MIL wants. I think she said it to you for that reason, to appease the MIL only.

I am a MIL. I nod and say "that's nice" no matter what. It's not my life. In fact my son is getting married. It is a small wedding in the park, very, very informal. The bride's Mom is making the cupcakes. I am not going near any "advice" at all. There is no way I am going to be one of "those" MILs. Besides - it's cake! Yum, yum!

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:05pm
post #11 of 13

Sounds like the bride is letting her MIL have a big say in her wedding. Not a good idea. My son is getting married in Aug. They asked me to do their wedding cake. I like making cupcakes sooooo much, but my soon to be DIL wants a regular wedding cake... It can be whatever I want to make... good on my part. Well, I want my cupcakes there.....soooooo....... I'm making my son a grooms cupcake tower... dark chocolate, chocolate chip cupcakes with chocolate, peanutbutter-fudge icing, with a Hershey kiss on top of each one....LOL...they just laughed and told me go ahead and do my thing....
Good luck with your cuppies.

LindaF144a Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:00pm
post #12 of 13

What did you end up doing for her cupcakes? Has the wedding happened yet?

Princess35 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:48pm
post #13 of 13

The wedding is 5wks from this coming Saturday. She has now decided to go back to the original lemon cupcakes that I made her and stick with the pb choc cupcakes for the grooms cake. Apparently she is going to have a final count this weekend so she will let me know the number of cupcakes of each flavor she wants. I'm so much more stressed about this than she is...is that normal?!?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%