Need Help With My Rolled Fondant!!!! Asap

Baking By cakefairybonaire Updated 21 May 2010 , 7:12pm by BeanCountingBaker

cakefairybonaire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairybonaire Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 3

Hi there,
I am working with rolled fondant and gumpaste about a year now. I live in the Caribbean on Bonaire. I started to sell cakes from home since 2010. Everything is great except when I get an order for a \\"Celebration Cake\\" like for Weddings or Birthdays. The rolled fondant just gives me nightmares. It is very hot here and also very humid. So I browsed the internet and made several times adjustments. Like for example: not so much glycerine-than the rolled fondant does not get wet so quickly. My fondant is ripping like hell: so I put each time more and more shortening in it. Than the fondant is totally sticking on my mat and still ripping as soon as I try to lift it up. Last time I put about 0,5 cup of shortening and still it did not work. So what I have to do then each time, to smooth the cover of the cake for over two hours, just to try to get rid of all the rippings of the fondant. It is really frustrating and my last hope is somebody who could give me a recipe for my weather conditions. HELP
I would be so grateful, if you would help me. Thanks, Julia icon_cry.gif

2 replies
Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 3

Don't use anymore shortening! Use cornstarch on the table and on the roller. This will dry it up.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 3

Are you using corn starch or powdered sugar to combat stickiness? I have better luck with powdered sugar. I have had a lot of success lately rolling my fondant on parchment paper sheets then turning it over the cake and peeling the parchment off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%