Gumpaste, Sugarpaste & Flower Paste ???

Decorating By cakeroyale Updated 23 May 2010 , 3:19pm by cakeroyale

cakeroyale Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 5

Can someone tell me the differences btw these pase and what are their uses? Is is different from fondant? Thanks

4 replies
peg818 Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 5

sugarpaste and fondant are the same. Gumpaste and flower paste as far as i know are pretty much the same. Gumpaste can be rolled very thin and drys very hard fairly quickly.

msulli10 Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 5

Gumpaste is much more pliable. It can be rolled very thin and dries very hard. I believe that gumpaste is often referred to as sugarpaste and flowerpaste. Fondant is different and used to cover cakes. You can convert your fondant into gumpaste by adding tylose powder. Many folks like to use a combination of fondant and gumpaste.
Gumpaste is ideal for things that need fine details, such as flowers.

egensinnig Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 5

Fondant aka sugarpaste is used for covering cakes and for decorations that you want to stay soft.

Gumpaste aka flowerpaste drys really quick and hard and is excellent for flowers and thin delicate decorations. Not very nice to eat even if it's classified as edible.

For modelling like figures it's good mix 50/50 of fondant and gumpaste

cakeroyale Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for all your contributions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%