Quilling Question

Decorating By CakesIMake Updated 21 May 2010 , 6:31pm by CakesIMake

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 3

I LOVE the way the cakes look! Does anyone know if it is made with fondant or GP? Probably 50/50 uh? any help would be great I would love to do this on an up coming cake

2 replies
Frotusbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frotusbush Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 3

When I do this I use just straight gumpaste. Roll it thinner than thin. No. thinner than that. I want to be able to read through it. I use a Jem strip cutter (the smallest one) and make sure that the cut leaves clean edges. Put the strips between two pieces of thick plastic that has been sewn together on one side. This will keep all the rest of the strips from drying out while you are working with just one. I use a regular quilling tool like you would for paper and start rolling. When I am making lots of the same shape I make sure that I have enough time to do however many of that shape that I will need in one sitting because for me at least, I find that I get into a rhythm and my shapes will be slightly different from one sitting to another. If it is commercial work , it won`t matter that much (it also doesn`t have to be as thin). If it is show work it will matter alot.

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frotusbush

When I do this I use just straight gumpaste. Roll it thinner than thin. No. thinner than that. I want to be able to read through it. I use a Jem strip cutter (the smallest one) and make sure that the cut leaves clean edges. Put the strips between two pieces of thick plastic that has been sewn together on one side. This will keep all the rest of the strips from drying out while you are working with just one. I use a regular quilling tool like you would for paper and start rolling. When I am making lots of the same shape I make sure that I have enough time to do however many of that shape that I will need in one sitting because for me at least, I find that I get into a rhythm and my shapes will be slightly different from one sitting to another. If it is commercial work , it won`t matter that much (it also doesn`t have to be as thin). If it is show work it will matter alot.

Thank you so much for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%