On Verge Of Cookie Disaster. Need Help. Long...

Baking By kcassano Updated 23 May 2010 , 2:09pm by TracyLH

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 7

so i have an order for 300 cookies (4"x4" sand dollars) for a wedding. i decorated about half yesterday. i didnt want to leave them out and get stale. they seemed to be dry, so i stacked about 8 on top of each other with wax paper in between and placed in big ziplock then the ziplock in containers. i want to cry - i took a look just a couple today and it seems like the wax paper has stuck to them. not to the point where it wont come off, but enough to leave marks in them. now i feel like i have do another icing layer on top of these 150 cookies. i still have the other half to do--i need some advice on how i should handle these so i dont end up with the same problem. i've made these before, but i froze them in individual ziplocks and i only had one or two that ended up slithtly sticking to the bags. i really need some advice. i'm anal and would be p*ssed if i paid 750 bucks for cookies and they weren't perfect.

Also, my client is dong the packaging of them. i'm just getting the decorated cookies to them and they are taking it from there. they were going to freeze the packaged cookies since the wedding will still be a week away.

sorry so long, but thanks for taking the time to mull over my dillema.

6 replies
emilyc262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyc262 Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 7

I'm sorry that happened! I don't know what recipes you use but I use NFSC and Antonia74 icing and I let them sit out for 24-48 hours while decorating and they are fine. Then I wrap in plastic wrap with wax paper between layers, put in containers and freeze and don't have a problem.

Hope you can salvage what you have with minimal work.

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 7

I just want to say that cookies won't come stale for a day..! I go up to 48hours for drying time before packaging (when I have multiple layers)
And a single layer, I let them dry at least 24hours ..
I use glace.

LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 7

You need to let them dry longer before trying to stack them. I let my cookies dry overnight and then put them in ziplock or tupperware the next day. The cookie doesn't really dry out overnight, but putting them in a ziplock or tupperware lets the cookie itself get a little soft again, but once the RI is dry....its not going to stick.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 7

I'm not a cookie pro so hopefully you will get a better answer than mine!!!
I would have left them out. Sorry not trying to be a smart a$$! Sometimes mine take 2 days to finish and I leave them on the counter just covered with these pop up bug net things I picked up at the dollar store.
Now I only bake for my kids and sometimes they last 2 weeks (in packages ) before they finish eating them and they are still not stale.

As for the damaged ones...yikes I don't know what to do. What if you glitter them up? I'm not sure what a sand dollar is. I've tried to "patch " royal and it just makes it worst.

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 7

thanks everyone. yeah, i clearly didnt let them set long enough. i've went and got some pizza boxes so i am going to just do single layer of cookies, close the box and let them dry. i put another layer of RI over the top of the messed up ones and they are fine. just kills me that i had to redo 150 cookies. argh. my own fault tho i guess for being too impatient. live and learn i guess. thanks!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 7

So sorry that happened! One thing to bear in mind is that cookies need airflow to dry properly. The pizza box will not be as airtight as a plastic box, but I do know that air flow is important. I used to stack my sheets with 4 oz. jelly jars in between until my husband built me a cookie drying rack that I could slide my trays in and out of. Again, sorry that happened!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%