Attaching Heavy Cardstock

Decorating By dpmey Updated 21 May 2010 , 6:04pm by jones5cm

dpmey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dpmey Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 6

I made a mistake last night and I was hoping to fix it as I don't have time to redo it all. I was cutting out side of a castle to attach to the side of my cake. The will stick up past the cake. I cut them out of a mix of fondant and gumpaste but they didn't harden up enough to stand up on their own. Live and learn. Next time I will just use gum paste. Anyways is their a way to attach heavy cardstock to the back side to help it stand up?

5 replies
KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 6

You could try using royal icing to glue it to the cardstock.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 6

Piping gel might also work

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 6

I had the same issue once and I ended up covering the back side of the 'wall' with melted chocolate (rather than cardstock - not edible); it dries fast and was sturdy enough. Just a thought....

dpmey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dpmey Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 6

I hadn't thought of the chocolate. I wouldn't have to worry about the bleed through either. The kids would love to eat the castle walls. I could coat the back and put them on my form to bend them. Great idea. How much chocolate did it take to stiffen it? Thanks

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 6

Just about an 1/8" layer smoothed with a knife was enough to provide enough stability for the roof and the forklift attachment (see the forklift cake in my photos) free-standing. I let it dry overnight; but i'm sure it won't take that long to dry. And you're right, the kids will eat it upicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%